• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear pattern frustration advice please

Beez, have you ever seen the tech page of my website? it has text book patterns. maybe I should add a few "to deep" and "to shallow" pics?

Having never even opened up a diff., should I take a chance at regearing my D30 and 8.25? It's a DD, and I tow a large trailer, so sure enough- any problem would be a real problem. You all seem to ahve an incredible knowledge of this stuff, i'd love to learn. Where can i find information? I was given a price of $1500 to regear my D30, and 8.25 with 4.56's. If I could do it myself, that'd be great! Sorry to hijack, just looking for some direction.

The 8.25 is easy to regear but it can be a Pita also. it has to do with holding the carrier in place while getting the adjusters in right. then getting the bearing caps on right. you do need to make a special tool for the 8.25. its nothing more than a length of bar with a nut on the end. I made my bar a T handle and the nut has 26MM wrench flats. weld the nut onto a length of 3/4" tubing about3' long then weld a T handle onto the end of it. you will use this tool to adjust the backlash. $1500!!! wow just for open rears with gears... or maybe I am not charging enough?

shop around you should be able to find cheaper then $1500
Most quotes I've seen were $150 to $200 per axle If you provide all the parts.
As for doing it yourself weigh the pros and cons.
I bought several tools specifically for doing the gears since I had to do 2 jeeps to set up and want to be able to do future jeeps. I'd guess about $200 on tools. But I already had several tools.

Before I tackled any on my own I assisted someone who had done it before a couple times. Then we set up the TJ together. As you see I'm doing the XJ alone.
Good learning experience tons of info on this board I read everything I could find on here before starting. Randy's supplied good info with the gears, complete instruction book. West Coast differentials has great info on their web site as well.
As for the 8.25 I don't know I pulled mine.

personally i don't mind paying someone to do something that i can't do... but on the other hand, i know i can do any of it with the right training and supervision. I'd like to lear for myself, even if i never touch another diff. again, just knowing that i could if i wanted to would make it all worth it to me...as for buying the tools, if the parts and tools cost less than 1500- i figure i saved money, and if and when i need to do it again...i have all the tools, and the know how to do so... So, if there are any obscure reference sites that could be shared with me, i'd appreciate it. As for that special 8.25 tool, i'd love a picture if at all possible. All i can do is hope for the best, and if it breaks when i go to use it then that's just how the cards fall...i'll have to suck it up, buy new parts, and try again. I am never ithout a vehicle at home, there's 3 of us, and 4 vehicles. the only time they take the other jeep is when the take the motorhome too, that's the tow vehicle. But them i'm left at home ith the choice of 330 convertible, or 740 sport... hmmm, choices choices... anyways, sorry for the tangent, I need adderall! I really want to learn how to do this, knowing that this WILL NOT be the only time it is useful makes it that much easier to decide. Point me in the right direction folks, i think i'll try and find a cheap 8.25 to re-gear for practice.

Back