• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear pattern check

try one more thing. spin the assy around about 4 or 5 times in each direction. try tightening up the BL to around .009" if you can. :confused1

ok heres that one

ran the ring gear around 5 times in each direction, applying resistance to the yoke, turning the ring gear with a wrench on a ring gear bolt

no pinion change

BL = .010

10thpattern01.jpg

10thpattern02.jpg

10thpattern03.jpg

10thpattern04.jpg

10thpattern05.jpg

10thpattern06.jpg

10thpattern07.jpg

10thpattern08.jpg

THis looks like one of those times where no matter what, its not gonna be perfect. add maybe .003" to the pinion and don't adjust the BL.
it looks very close. it may actually end up being out at .026" but you gotta go for perfect. I was hoping that we could get the coast pattern a little more in check but it seems that its only going to get so good. so lets just keep trying.

here are the pics

pinion +.004 for a total of .024
(i dont have shims to move .003, it was either +.002 or +.004)

did not change carrier shims
BL went from .010 to .008

11thpattern01.jpg

11thpattern02.jpg

11thpattern03.jpg

11thpattern04.jpg

11thpattern05.jpg

drive side looks pretty good, but man the coat side just doesnt want to cooperate...

Now you are getting the idea of how easy it is to setup the gears in an 8.8...
I like that pattern on the drive. its about as perfect as can be. obviously the sacrafice to the coast side is not that big of a deal. I would go with that.
you might have a slight noise on coast but I doubt it. time for final assy me thinks.

sweet..

thanks for all the help, i really appreciate it.

11 tries...for my first one. I guess thats not too bad. first 4 or 5 were all scrapped when i realized i had screwed up the pinion bearing and it was throwing everything way off. So i had to get a new bearing and start over.

now I'll see how many crush sleaves I ruin.

then its on to the HP44...

Back