• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear Install

rws

NAXJA Forum User
Time for new gears. Vehicle is a 1990 Comanche with a Dana 30 front and a Dana44 rear. Have done a few Dana 44's before so don't forsee any problems. My question is about the Dana 30. Is the set-up procedure the same for pinion preload?? It seems like some use crush sleeves and some use shims. All my searching indicates that some have shims and some have crush collars. Anybody know what would be in a 1990 Dana 30?

Mine has a sleeve. I it was my understanding that you can use either. It needs to stay the same after instal, but when you do your install you can use either. My rear 44 was sleeve and I changed to shims.

So the earlier HP Dana 30 use shims and the later LP Dana 30 use the crush sleeve?

Nope.
My 00 TJ uses shims, My 01 XJ uses shims. Other's I have done, 97 TJ: Shims, 97 TJ Sleeved, 94 YJ sleeve, CJ-7 shimmed, 95 YJ Sleeved, all Dana 30's. Done several 44's from 84 Xj to 03 Rubicon all shimmed and done 2 Dana 60's both sleeved. Though we converted one to shims.
Crush sleeves are quicker to set up, but you have to pull a solid 250ft lbs or more to get them started, and once started have to check preload very often. Once you are close, you can over crush them within just a few foot lbs.

Use the old crush sleeve (just as you use the old pinion nut and washer) for setup of the pinion depth.
Just go slow after it starts to crush, checking preload often so you don't over crush when doing final pinion install.

Great info, thanks. So I should use the old crush sleeve,the old outer pinion bearing,old pinion nut and washer, torqued to 250 lbs for set-up, this is assuming I have the crush sleeve and not the shims?

No thats not right. You should use the new outter bearing on the pinion(give it a good oil bath), the old crush sleeve and the old pinion nut tightened to where you don't have any slop. you can toss in a shim if needed, if the old crush sleeve wont let the pinion nut tighten all the way, but it should with the new bearing. No need to torque the pinion down during this step. I usually run the air gun at 150psi just to get it tight.

After you get good pattern (pinion depth) set, then toss in the new crush sleeve, use new nut and washer, and apply some lock tite, then torque the new nut to 200 - 250. you will feel the sleeve start to go. Check the pinion bearing preload OFTEN starting at around 200 or so when you think it starts to go. Some go as soon as 180, others I have had over 300 on them before they went. But preload will change from 0 to 20 in/lbs in as little 10 foot lbs. If you over tighten, you need to replace the crush sleeve.

HTH

D

My dana 30 is shims. I would recommend if you don't have an inch pound torque wrench to read the 14 inch pounds of preload, get one, its the only proper way to set it up.

Back