• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gear for 35" tires

would you guys reccomend 4.88 over 4.56 for 33x12.5's or is that to much? cause i keep hearing 4.56 on 33's is good .... but i want great haha

I went with 5.13's on 35's. I have yet to fully test it out because the Jeep still isn't quite done. The Jeep certainly feels slower than with 33's and 4.56, but with all the extra weight I shouldn't be surprised. If I end up going to bigger tires I will change the t-case. Time for a stroker motor?

Greg

i haev the 8.25/30 combo and i dont want 4.56 with 35's so if i cant get a 44 in the back i was gonna go 33", but should i go by a different rule of thumb because im manual?

I'm running 35's with the 4.0, AW-4, and 4.56's (8.25 sucks balls!). I do almost all my driving on the highway and the city and get right about 14 MPG. I'm working on my D44's but money is the problem at the moment. If I were to do it again, I'd get axles first and get the gear ratio I'd like. 4.88's seem to be the best with the AW-4 for highway use. Anyone else have 35's with the auto and 4.88's? Whats the mileage on the highway with that set up?

XJ_Vikings said:
i haev the 8.25/30 combo and i dont want 4.56 with 35's so if i cant get a 44 in the back i was gonna go 33", but should i go by a different rule of thumb because im manual?

Don't quote me on it, but I've heard that with the 5-speed, 4.56's and 35's compare to the AW-4, 35's, and 4.88's.

XJ_Vikings, 53guy, Nestor, et al,

Yeah, I'd like to get in on this discussion as well. I, like XJ_Vikings, own an XJ w/5-speed manual.

My approach will be a little unique in that I want ground clearance but not much lift as the wife is a petite 5'2." In turn, I'll try to fit 35" on a 3" lift and remove sheet metal and add some Bushwacker (or other) hollow flares.

My thoughts regarding axles have always been w/the D44 but I do not know of any good alternatives.

Please advise.

Thanks,

Rick

Even though I drive a YJ, my driveline is from a '98 XJ (4.0L, AW4, 231). My front axle is also out of the '98 XJ (D30 non-disconnect). I have an 8.8 out back too.

I was getting 10 mpg (city) with 4.10s and 35's. Last weekend, I regeared to 4.88's, and I am now getting 14 to 15 mpg city. The Jeep is much more responsive. I can clearly tell that I don't need to put my foot on the gas as hard to get it to move. Highway driving is MUCH better too. No more downshifting to 3rd up hills. The RPM's are around 2300 at 65 mph, which is perfect.

I agree with a lot of other responses.. 4.88's are a good choice for 35's.

Good information, that`s I wanted to know.....How much responce and gas milage.

If fact I got a D44LP/F9" 31 splines combo, and I`m trying to fixing them and put them as soon as possible, when money comes up. So I think 4.88 would be better setup for my AW4/231, 6L, 35" MT, 15X10 wheels

Thanks folks...

Nestor said:
Good information, that`s I wanted to know.....How much responce and gas milage.

If fact I got a D44LP/F9" 31 splines combo-my AW4/231, 6L, 35" MT, 15X10
That is what my setup is and I run 5.13, love them. Get you an AW shifter and it really makes a differance. I have not ran on the street as mine is a trail only rig.

My silverado has 4.56's and 35's and power is great didn't fix my gas milage....my manche has 4.56's and 36's... so it sucks trying to get the wheels to turn on a wet surface during a hill climb! gas sucks in anything old

Last edited:
to retain a close to stock gearing with an automatic trans, you need;
4:10 with 31" tires
4:56 with 33"
4:88 with 35"
This will keep you close to the way it came from the factory.
O

Back