• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gauge help!?!?!

Brandon41177

NAXJA Forum User
i have been looking into doing a gauge cluster for my 1996 xj because i have the lame, speed and gas gauges..... thats it. and i want to know before i blow up when i have no oil pressure.
so i want to know, one: would it be easier to do a in dash gauge swap, or would it be easier to just pick up an additional bolt on gauge cluster.
if you could post some ideas, opinions, steps, and possible part numbers of sending units and where to get them that would be great. i want to run an oil psi, water temp, and batt gauge. also i would like to know the easiest locations to hook into the oil and water systems. any help???

thanks, brandon

I believe there is a dash swap write up either here or over at cherokeeforum, It includes the sending unit PN's that you need. Stock gauges aren't the most accurate, but I like how they look.

Do you have 10 minutes of free time? thats all it takes. go to the Junkyard grab the cluster from another. there are 2 wiring harnesses in the back of the clusters that are a direct swap plug and play.

I just did this yesterday and it took me a half hour. but that was because I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why my speedo wasn't working. Turns out if the needle is on the wrong side of the little piece that is sticking out it wont go up! slid it over works great.

Plus I just knocked a good 90,000 miles off my jeep!

You can't just swap between all years. There are many threads in here about gages not working after the swap. Same year is easy, but you'd have to search threads to see what doesn't work and why.

if you search here you will find a write up on it.
I did mine and tach and everything worked great, I swapped the speedo and trip into mine so that I wouldn't mess with the miles...

Also if you want the Temp Gage to work you have to change the sensor too. (and there are two of them on some years, make sure you change the right one)

Back