• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank skid plate question.

Quick question.
In the last stages of the gas tank replacement on the 1985 XJ , I picked up a factory skid plate from the local bone yard.

Nearly finished, the new tank is buttoned up and filler lines reconnected and I just noticed ol' xj doesn't have a nut strip, it's required for a skid plate right?

Yes and what's more is the gas skid uses the forward nuts on the nutstrip (more than the hitch) so you need the real thing

And if you are installing a hitch too, put the skid on last so you can drop the tank without having to drop the bumper to get at the hitch

Yes and what's more is the gas skid uses the forward nuts on the nutstrip (more than the hitch) so you need the real thing

And if you are installing a hitch too, put the skid on last so you can drop the tank without having to drop the bumper to get at the hitch

OK, Thanks. That was what my hunch was.

Crap...soooo close to firing it up. Another week or two for the parts to come in I guess.

Think I'll get a hitch while I am at it :D

FYI, Factory hitch from any year should fit unless '85 is different. I have a 2000 hitch on my '89 and it bolted right up over / on top of, my original factory skid.
You might want to replace your gas lines while you're at it.

Good luck,,
Mike
Yeah, I replaced the rubber gas lines today.

I've wanted to add a hitch for years. I may hit the local yards and see what is available. Our 1991 XJ has the tow package the bolt line up looks identical to my naked eye.

4 Wheel Drive has the Fuel Tank Reinforcement.

http://www.4wd.com/search.aspx?kw=Fuel+Tank+Reinforcement

Found a tank skidplate write up during a search, I'm sorry I forgotten the members name (TheAlmightySam).

http://junkyardjeep.blogspot.com/2009/01/gas-tank-skid.html
EDIT:
Oops.. Got turned around searching the forum.... But it was the TheAlmightySam, just a few post above this. Great write up!

Last edited:
Should I hang the tank like Sam did (old plastic cover and straps, then the new skid plate) or use the just new skid-plate with the straps?

I like how Sam did becasue I can get the old girl up and running tomorrow... maybe...

I've wanted to add a hitch for years. I may hit the local yards and see what is available.
Get the nut strips while you're there. Clean out the threads and get new bolts. You may need to rotate the exhaust hanger to clear tank and skid.

Regarding the plastic tank protector. I trimmed mine so there's just enough to cushion the straps and maybe cut some vibration.

Mike

While it is true that a pre-97 skid soes not bolt in to a 97+, it can be made to fit. I did my 97 back in 2000 with a pre 97 skid. Due to senility, I just can't remember if it the front or rear most welds that needed to be broken so the skid could be reshaped. Once it is reshaped, weld in a some 1/8" stock to make up the difference. I do believe it took me around 2 hours total to test fit, break the welds, reshape and reweld. No real big deal and there are tons of pre-97s out there. Just my .02!

+1 for the ZJ skid. My Curt hitch fit over it fine although I did have to notch about ½" behind the backing plate for the receiver. Depending on how far forward or back you install a ZJ skid, this issue could be better or worse. One thing I will note is that in this configuration I'm going to have to get a custom tailpipe fabbed up because the stock exhaust rattles against the skid.

Back