• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas Tank Skid Mod Question

arfinsd

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if a pre 96 XJ Skid can be modified to fit an 01 XJ? If I can get one cheap enough, is it something that's doable?

Alex

JeepFreak21 said:
Sure, but you could probably also modify it to fit a '79 Subaru BRAT or a '03 f250.

Find a OEM ZJ gas tank skid if you can... it'll be a lot easier to make it fit a '97+ XJ.

Billy

What has to be done to make a ZJ on fit ?

yikes said:
What has to be done to make a ZJ on fit ?

From what I've heard it fits over the XJ tank just fine but some of the holes don't like up. So from what I've heard it is just drilling some holes. A ZJ tank skid isn't much easier to find than a 97+ XJ skid though....

88JeepXJ said:
From what I've heard it fits over the XJ tank just fine but some of the holes don't like up. So from what I've heard it is just drilling some holes. A ZJ tank skid isn't much easier to find than a 97+ XJ skid though....

This is my understanding also. I'm seeing a lot more ZJs at Pick-n-Pull lately, but I can't recall ever seeing a '97+ XJ! I grabbed one gas tank skid from a ZJ already.
Billy

Really only one hole needs to be drilled on the ZJ skid, using the nut strip its easy to figure out where to put the hole.
DSCN1973.jpg

I ordered mine from the StealerShip. 198.00 new in a box.
Course that was 4 years ago now.

i read somewhere that you can trim a little on a pre 96 gas tank skid to work for 97+.
just trim an inch towards the rear bumper.

i got one, just haven't done it yet...one of my things to do. i'll confirm afterwards.

longducdong said:
just got done, had to trim about 2.5~3 inches towards the rear. fits good.

pre 96 gas tank skid (hitch too) on my 2001.

Pictures? I'd like to know how much you trimmed.

Back