• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas mileage... w00t!

so this whole resetting the pcm thing. i have a 94 xj. so what i do is take off the positive battery cable. then what. do i just touch the positive battery cable while it is disconnected. i'm confused about grounding it. can i touch the positive cable to some part of the jeep while it disconnected from the battery? let me know so i don't kill myself please.

rickolis22 said:
so this whole resetting the pcm thing. i have a 94 xj. so what i do is take off the positive battery cable. then what. do i just touch the positive battery cable while it is disconnected. i'm confused about grounding it. can i touch the positive cable to some part of the jeep while it disconnected from the battery? let me know so i don't kill myself please.

The easiest way to keep it straight is to disconect both battery cables from the battery. Then short the two DETACHED battery cables together.

Be sure you know or mark where each cable goes back on the battery, i.e. which one goes where before you remove both cables from the battery!

Ecomike said:
Be sure you know or mark where each cable goes back on the battery, i.e. which one goes where before you remove both cables from the battery!

LMAO, can't get more basic than this.

Why would it matter what cable you removed? Just remove one from the battery and touch it to the other that's still connected to the battery terminal. Remove positive or negative and touch it to the other, doesn't matter which. But just in case you overlooked something do it slowly and be ready to jerk it away if there's a big spark.

srimes said:
Why would it matter what cable you removed? Just remove one from the battery and touch it to the other that's still connected to the battery terminal. Remove positive or negative and touch it to the other, doesn't matter which. But just in case you overlooked something do it slowly and be ready to jerk it away if there's a big spark.
Some of us are worried about nobs pulling just one of many cables off the battery post and getting a shocking experience, or worse some inexperienced having more than one battery in the system they decide to short out...etc.

In most situations it would not matter which cable was detached, as long as the connections to at least one battery post on a single battery system were removed. All bets are off if it is a more exotic multiple battery set up. In that case you better be answering questions in this thread instead of asking them. :D

Ecomike said:
The easiest way to keep it straight is to disconect both battery cables from the battery. Then short the two DETACHED battery cables together.

That's what I was thinking. You can't really screw that up by removing all of the cables from the battery!

Blaine B. said:
That's what I was thinking. You can't really screw that up by removing all of the cables from the battery!

And by moving ANY batteries to 20ft away and putting them in a sealed box even less issues will crop up :D

so what i do is: i turn the ignition ON. then i take my handy dandy screw driver, grab it right in the middle, then press it on BOTH terminals at the same time to short it out.

then i start the motor, and reach into the shroud to grab the fan clutch and pull OUT, while simultaneously flailing the positive cable about

sound correct?

..oh boy, great gas mileage here I come!...

Yes there are those in this world who can screw up a crowbar.

My father came home one day telling me how some guys on a work crew at what is now Haliburton, tried to unjam a 2" thick steel plate roll mill. They used a forged pick ax. When the rolls unjamed the roll grabed the drop forged pick ax and rolled it. Left a cool pic ax imprint in the $2,000,000.00 roll that had a 20 week lead time.

Disconnect BOTH battery cables from the battery, touch them together for the previously described amount of time. Reconnect battery cables to the battery. RED cable goes back on the POSITIVE teminal indicated by a (+) symbol on the battery. BLACK cable reconnects to the NEGATIVE terminal indicated by a (-) symbol on the battery. Is that simple enough? If they can't do that without problems the the Darwin factor must apply.

Back