• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas filters and tow bars

danny Benavidez

NAXJA Forum User
So now I also have a 98 XJ to go with my 01 XJ. And I'm thinking of changng the gas filter. But it is inside of the gas tank ! So to change it I'll have to remove the tow bar and (gas tank skid plate) and than drop the tank. I'm afraid I'll lose the nut-plate inside the xj frame rails that is used to hold down the tow bar. And will spend more time fishing it back where it needs to be, that the time it taks removing all the other parts that are in the way.

So what if I just add one more gas filter to the out side of the tank ?
And do not a thing with the one inside the tank !

Dany www.BlueXJ.com

I've been wondering the same thing. I have a Detours Tailbone, DPG gas skid and Hidden hitch that I would have to remove to start to drop the tank.

Has anyone cut an access panel in the rear cargo area? I saw a guy do that to his YJ at the campground once to change the fuel pump.

danny Benavidez said:
So now I also have a 98 XJ to go with my 01 XJ. And I'm thinking of changng the gas filter. But it is inside of the gas tank ! So to change it I'll have to remove the tow bar and (gas tank skid plate) and than drop the tank. I'm afraid I'll lose the nut-plate inside the xj frame rails that is used to hold down the tow bar. And will spend more time fishing it back where it needs to be, that the time it taks removing all the other parts that are in the way.

So what if I just add one more gas filter to the out side of the tank ?
And do not a thing with the one inside the tank !

Dany www.BlueXJ.com

I believe you still need to do something with the in tank filter and mod the pick up tube or something, but if you leave the old filter in place, it will still choke the gas flow. You still need to remove all needed to drop the tank or cut an access hole, then mod the pump/filter, then add an in-line filter. Sorry I have no details on how to do it, but I do know for sure you need to get rid of the dirty filter clogging the flow.

do you have to drop the tank on the newer models. On my 91 it is on the front of the tank so I was able to change the entire pump assembly without dropping the tank.

WOLFINSANITY said:
if you leave the old filter in place, it will still choke the gas flow

Ooh that is true, gee I fill dum, I must type faster then I think.

wolfpackjeeper said:
do you have to drop the tank on the newer models. .

I think so from what I remember, On my old 91 & 96 It was so EZ to do, But win I got the 2001 and a new gas filter. I got myself under the jeep and looked for were the old filter was. And I looked and looked, Looked some more. And than I gave up. Having a trapdoor would be nice.

danny Benavidez said:
Ooh that is true, gee I fill dum, I must type faster then I think.

I think so from what I remember, On my old 91 & 96 It was so EZ to do, But win I got the 2001 and a new gas filter. I got myself under the jeep and looked for were the old filter was. And I looked and looked, Looked some more. And than I gave up. Having a trapdoor would be nice.
I don't see why they didn't put a trapdoor in there, but they didn't. I have thought that if I ever have to do mine I'd cut a hole while the tank is out and make a screw-down cover. Of course, it's not likely to happen. Mine has 208 thousand miles, and I've never done the filter. If I do, I don't suppose I'll get around to doing it twice.

I don't have the link off hand but someone on here has cut an access panel into the rear cargo floor. It's a write up that had photos when I looked at it last year.

Back