• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Funky Sound

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
Couple of days ago I was sitting at a stop light when heard a constant crickety sound coming from the very front of the car. I was surprised to hear it, because my 99XJ is very well maintained.
Went home and heard it again on the driveway. Pushed the lever in Park and the noise disappeared. Pull it in Drive and it appeared again.
I was never able to reproduce the noise again. I am going on a trip next week. Is there anything that I should be worried about?
Thanks
Boris

Was it more of a clickety-clickety type sound or would you stand by the crickety? Also, is it a single crickety, or double/multiple crickety? Mine once made a clickety-clackety sound but it turned out to be a shot bearing on the fanbelt tensioner wheel. Yours could be a fan belt problem too. I notice that a chunk of gravel in my tire makes a ticka-ticka-ticka type sound, could be that too. Mine also made a clunkety-clonkety sound once, but that one turned out to be a dead rat stuck on the fanbelt...

HTH

was it a clackity crickety sound or a buggumpity tick tockity sound? mine goes whump, bump, plump and gagunk.

frankly speaking, if this noise is all you are hearing you have a damn fine xj in your garage.

all xjs have some noises and most cannot be explained.

if you dont like those noises i suggest a japanese built automobile.....:D:D

but hey, thats why we love these hoopty xjs. they take a licking and keep on ticking and tocking and krackling.....etc etc....

here is a good one, i have this sound that sounds like my fan blade is rappin against the radiator and when i give it more gas it goes away. miraculous self healing xj!

AMEN jesus!

Seriously, you might check to see if your harmonic balancer is in one piece. The rubber will start coming out and hitting on something. Just something to check. Good luck.

gigage said:
Seriously, you might check to see if your harmonic balancer is in one piece. The rubber will start coming out and hitting on something. Just something to check. Good luck.

I disagree...cracking harmonic balancers typically make a vvvvvhhhhrrrrrtttttttt vvvvhhhhrrrrtttttttt kind of drone but only when the left blinker is on. I can't believe I'm saying it but Seqouia has a valid question.

Ha ha ha You guys have got my wife and me rolling we cant stop laughing every time she drives she is turning to me and saying what was that and I say I dont know and she says if you knew could you fix it.

Ron

If it's a 99, you might want to listen carefully to the vacuum purge valve and associated plumbing up on the right firewall. Mine makes a slow rhythmic squeaking noise when it starts up, and later it knocks at a somewhat higher rate.

this st so confusing. spray your belt with wd40 and see if it goes away. if it does dont worry it is fine. wile your at it spray the pullys

i would do the wd40 thing cuz when my ac does the "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" thing i just spray it and all the noises go away for a while

DansGreyMj said:
i would do the wd40 thing cuz when my ac does the "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee" thing i just spray it and all the noises go away for a while

Yeah, nothing cures a slipping belt like helping it to slip more.:wierd:

goodburbon said:
Yeah, nothing cures a slipping belt like helping it to slip more.:wierd:

Oh.....I suppose you tighten them eh bourbon!!!!! :D

Back