• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fullsize Chevy 1/2 ton Axles in my 87 XJ

I was all about the-- no 1/2 ton diesel ... guess I was wrong.. i still dont see the point of it though.. if its a 1/2 ton with a 3/4 ton axle... arent we basically talking about a 3/4 ton? crazy chevys.

Ludakris said:
I was all about the-- no 1/2 ton diesel ... guess I was wrong.. i still dont see the point of it though.. if its a 1/2 ton with a 3/4 ton axle... arent we basically talking about a 3/4 ton? crazy chevys.

Just hypothesizing here, but for some customers maybe the lower GVWR in 1/2 tons is desirable for taxation purposes in some locations, perhaps softer ride quality in the 1/2 ton springs, yet still the longevity & mileage of the diesel.

I would like to know why GM didn't put the semi-float 14 bolt in the 2-door 6.5 Tahoes/Yukons... the 10 bolt doesn't hold up to the torque very well. I almost bought a beautiful red '99 6.5 Tahoe in Florida before I found my Suburban in NY, but I'm happy with what I got.

Lawn Cher' said:
Just hypothesizing here, but for some customers maybe the lower GVWR in 1/2 tons is desirable for taxation purposes in some locations, perhaps softer ride quality in the 1/2 ton springs, yet still the longevity & mileage of the diesel.

Watch me get owned again...:laugh:

Those early GM deisels aren't long lasting, they were sh!tty...thats why theyre so rare. (dont see many around where I live, and Ive never even seen the half ton ones).

hjeepxj said:
Where do I start with the spobi in this post?! LMAO :laugh3:

1/2 tons never came diesels, diesels never came z71, z71s never came with the SF 14 bolt, and I think thats it for now.

Half tons should have 10 bolts (usually) in the rear, unless Im thinking pre 87, then they came w/12bolts, the front could be 44 or 10 bolt...I think theres some requirements for that, not sure though. And the SF 14 bolt only came in LD 2500s (my truck)

Ouch, it's got to hurt to be proven so wrong, by so many people, in so short a time, in a single thread.

Other than that, good effort. :thumbup:

CRASH

P.S. I've worked on several SF 14's out of heavy half Cheby's, some 6.5's and some gassers.

hjeepxj said:
Watch me get owned again...:laugh:

Those early GM deisels aren't long lasting, they were sh!tty...thats why theyre so rare. (dont see many around where I live, and Ive never even seen the half ton ones).

By early, you must mean the 5.7 & 4.3 Oldsmobile conversions. Awful, I agree. But the 6.2 & 6.5, if properly cared for by a conscientious owner, can last a decent amount. Sure, they aren't a Cummins or Powerstroke, but then again they don't cost nearly as much either. By the time GM transferred the 6.5 over to AMGeneral, it was nearly perfected, but they had the Duramax in the pipeline already and gave up just short of the finish line from an engineering point of view.

I don't know if I'd put the Chevy axles in an XJ...it's quite a bit of extra work. I'd go with some of the other axle swaps that have been performed by alot of the people here and there's alot more info/tech write-ups and discussions. Plus you could keep some of your driveline intact which would help in both labor...and $ savings.

As for the gvwr thing....I believe it was an issue with some taxation and/or exemptions in some states/areas for awhile. I know that here in Indiana you used to have to get a truck/suv that was at least 7200gvw to use it for a business exemption. This could give you around a 8,000 to 12,000 deduction right off of the top. The deal was though, that you couldn't sell it straight out....you had to keep it for like 3 or more years or trade it back in or you were penalized. That tax law has changed in the past year, I believe, to include the 1500 gvw ratings as well.

I think that Chevy also came out with the newer HD1500 4x4 that they've had for the last few years to somehow address these issues and tax breaks in other areas of the country, maybe. All of the ones that I've seen were of the 4-door (crew cab) variety...and they've all got 8-lug axles. They only come with the 6.0 Vortec and the 4L80 tranny. At least all the ones that I've physically seen anyways....that's kind of odd to me....an HD1500 w/8lug axles. I don't think you can get the Allison tranny or the 8.1liter or the Duramax with the HD1500 package either. Just a FYI.....if anyone knows different on these...feel free to fill me in.
Aron

BigDawgz said:
I don't know if I'd put the Chevy axles in an XJ...it's quite a bit of extra work. I'd go with some of the other axle swaps that have been performed by alot of the people here and there's alot more info/tech write-ups and discussions. Plus you could keep some of your driveline intact which would help in both labor...and $ savings.

As for the gvwr thing....I believe it was an issue with some taxation and/or exemptions in some states/areas for awhile. I know that here in Indiana you used to have to get a truck/suv that was at least 7200gvw to use it for a business exemption. This could give you around a 8,000 to 12,000 deduction right off of the top. The deal was though, that you couldn't sell it straight out....you had to keep it for like 3 or more years or trade it back in or you were penalized. That tax law has changed in the past year, I believe, to include the 1500 gvw ratings as well.

I think that Chevy also came out with the newer HD1500 4x4 that they've had for the last few years to somehow address these issues and tax breaks in other areas of the country, maybe. All of the ones that I've seen were of the 4-door (crew cab) variety...and they've all got 8-lug axles. They only come with the 6.0 Vortec and the 4L80 tranny. At least all the ones that I've physically seen anyways....that's kind of odd to me....an HD1500 w/8lug axles. I don't think you can get the Allison tranny or the 8.1liter or the Duramax with the HD1500 package either. Just a FYI.....if anyone knows different on these...feel free to fill me in.
Aron

My cousins has the 5.3 and 4l60 verity, he needed the passanger room but didnt want the stiff ride of a 3/4 or 1t truck, some people like them I guess, seems like a waste of a vehicle to me.

cyrus said:
My cousins has the 5.3 and 4l60 verity, he needed the passanger room but didnt want the stiff ride of a 3/4 or 1t truck, some people like them I guess, seems like a waste of a vehicle to me.

Are you sure that it's the HD...version of the 1500...with 8 lug axles? They also make the ex-cab and crew cab versions in the standard 6 lug 1500 too.
Aron

Not necessarily regarding this post but rather the idea...
I think you've got an awesome idea and am proud to say that I'm well on my way to doing the same. I bought a suburban (1/2 ton) that still had the 350 in it all for $300 (I know blew me away, too). I'm taking the whole drivetrain and puting it under the cherokee (89 lim). I've got the 350 cleaned and stored until I get the axles rolling. At the moment I have the rear axle mounted and rolling and am finally mounting the front axle on this weekend. Front and rear springs with dual shocks on front and still deciding on back. Probably just single on back for now. I'm loving the project and can't get enough of it. Every time I'm not working I have to peak my head out to the shop to get some more work done on it. I'm loving every second that I get closer to riding in that thing again!
Anyway, just wondering why you guys haven't been posting more about what you're going to do to your rides and less of what came in chevys :p Love your site, though. I can't beleive I finally found a good xj site! The whole build up I've been looking for a good set of pics at least to look at for ideas. Thanks to all you guys for all the work that's been put in here.
I've got plenty of pictures, btw so if you want them I've got them and if I don't I'll get them :D

Back