• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Full Hydro

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I didn't see a thread about full hydraulic steering in here yet. Did I miss it?

Where are you putting your reservoirs?

Where is your orbital?

How much front end sheet metal do you still have?

How is it at idle, at speed, and on road?

Shop made or home made hydro lines?

Complete kit or pieced together?

I have a PSC complete kit, single ended, pump, orbital, ram, reservoir.

I'm looking really hard at mounting the orbital where the steering box was, ports facing the passenger frame rail, like the Liquid Iron bolt on orbital bracket. Just welding the provided bracket to the inner frame though. Has anyone used that bolt on bracket? Does the orbital bleed pretty easily?

Where are you putting your reservoirs? I'm going to try mounting off the brake master cylinder.

I still have pretty much full inner fenders.

Take a look at my build thread. I had full inner fenders with a 4.0 and 40" MTRs at one point. Bought the entire double-ended ram PSC kit. Came with hoses and reusable fittings. I also run hydroboost brakes.

I put the reservoir a few inches from the pump, right where the airbox used to be.

Orbital I did what you are talking about, except kept the lines facing up. To the side should bleed fine.

Hoses/fittings are still in use. I swapped to a P-pump when I dropped the 440 and mounted the reservoir on top of the engine but kept pretty much everything else the same.

Steers fine at idle and at speed. I would like to upgrade to -12 AN pump feed and -10 AN return side, but that's only because it's a bit slow doing any type of racing. For crawling it has always worked fine.

I also bought the complete PSC kit.

I mounted the orbital in the stock steering box place by making up a bracket. The lines point sideways toward the center of the Jeep.

The reservoir I mounted in the airbox location as high and as close to the pump as possible. I tried over by the brake booster but it was just to darn far away and didn't fit well.

Orbital Bracket:
OrbitalMountWeldedPainted.jpg

Orbital Mocked up:
Orbital_MountMocked.jpg

Reservoir Bracket:
PSReservoirMount.jpg

PSReservoirMount2.jpg

PSReservoirMount3.jpg

Front axle:
FrontAxleComplete.jpg

Last edited:
The UHMW has been good so far. Just kinda slides off stuff. I had some left from doing the belly so I used it there as well. It has some serious gouges in it now but functions just fine.
I'd use it again. The key is to make sure you have a good backer and no large unsupported spans.

Mopar guy, is it slow because the pump is sucking air? My kit came with I think -8 and -12.

RC, I like the 150 degree bends. They solve the problem of fittings touching inside the hose. No flow issues there?

What's the gauge showing, on board air?

No complaints. Doesn't seem to have any flow issues but then again I don't race either.

The guage is for fuel pressure since I don't have any of the factory stuff. The 5th picture shows the fuel rail connection.

Mopar guy, is it slow because the pump is sucking air? My kit came with I think -8 and -12.

It's slow because the pump is not getting fluid fast enough and my orbital is too slow (standard one that comes in the PSC kit, I think 7.3ci?). Gives me about 3.5 turns lock to lock which is much too slow for any type of go fast. Plenty enough for crawling.

If you have -12 pump feed and -8 return then you should be plenty for crawling. If I was starting fresh I'd jump right to a -10 return but again I do like to do some local racing/go-fast with my MJ.

What's the gauge showing, on board air?

Ya know, I'm just an idiot not worthy of Advanced Tech, but, Fuel pressure gauge?

Genius?

Not.

Flow issues? You went to school.

Tell us about fluid dynamics. If not, maybe just stay out.

Or, get Opie to help you out with those whatchamcallit thingies he cuts out of square tube and never figured out the meaning of a 135 degree drill bit...

:D

Anyway it took a long time and a little bit of beer but I got my full hydro installed.

Yes I bought a complete kit. I may or may not be smart enough to match all the components but I'm smart enough to not waste my limited time screwing around with it to save $100.

PSC full hydro, single ended ram system. Complete with pump, orbital, reservoir, hose kit, hardware. I got the Swepco oil from them too.

After a day, I noticed no issues with the reservoir mounted off the brake booster. I did have to recess the reservoir into the inner fender to clear the hood. Hood spacers may work instead.

I mounted the ram on a double sided high steer arm, behind the axle. Upgraded to 3/4" hardware on that side after drilling out the TRE taper. My tie rod is beat up but my ram is safe.

Steering felt good at the speeds I went. Super happy with it in the rocks.

Back