• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Safety Switch?

saybye

NAXJA Forum User
Hot on the trail of a 99 Cherokee that's been rear ended. He says it won't crank because the fuel safety switch was engaged during the wreck?

I've never noticed anything under the back seat nor did I know a Cherokee even had one of these lol. Guessing it's under the back seat on the undercarriage side?

So first is there such a thing? Second, what engages it? Third, what does it take to reset it or replace it?

I would check associated fuses and relays including ASD relay and the wiring to the pump. I don't think there are any factory installed safety switches.

Someone lied to them. Now pick it up for cheap and fix whatevers wrong with it.
If you turn the key and hear the pump activate the issue is something else.

If you don't hear it, check the ASD relay, then follow the harness to the back to the pump.

Replace parts as needed.

If its cheap I would buy it. There is nothing that can't be fixed on these things.

Hot on the trail of a 99 Cherokee that's been rear ended. He says it won't crank because the fuel safety switch was engaged during the wreck?

I've never noticed anything under the back seat nor did I know a Cherokee even had one of these lol. Guessing it's under the back seat on the undercarriage side?

So first is there such a thing? Second, what engages it? Third, what does it take to reset it or replace it?

It's a Ford thing. Had one of them bastards on a Tempo I used to work on. "fuel pump inertia switch" it's supposed to be set off when the car is bumped hard enough to prevent leakage/fire and such. Most are in the trunk.

Stupid things are easy to set off. Setting the car down off the floor jack too quickly can be enough... ask me how I know. Took awhile to figure out what the heck was going on.

Good to hear! Hell I had never seen/heard of such a thing but I learn something new everyday. But yes picking it up cheap is the plan! As always thanks for the help fellas!

ASD, pull the relay and reinstall, or swap a couple of relays around(make sure the part number on top of the relays match if you swap them, ask me how I know this LOL!)

I have a the factory service manual for a 2000. Has all the wiring diagrams you would possibly need to figure this out. PM me if you need to track down any wiring stuff.

Back