• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fuel pump install frustrations

I had a leak at the hose between the pump and steel tube, inside the tank.

That Jeep would actually run and drive for about ten minutes. Then, all it would do was idle. A fuel pressure test convinced me to recheck my work.

I had a leak at the hose between the pump and steel tube, inside the tank.

That Jeep would actually run and drive for about ten minutes. Then, all it would do was idle. A fuel pressure test convinced me to recheck my work.

I had this happen on our MJ as well, in fact I got the truck for $250 because of the fuel pump running but no pressure at the rail, truck would not run. When I pulled the pump I found the elbow had dessentagrated to nothing. I went ahead and replaced the pump with a bosch unit which had the new elbow with it and I started it up and drove it home from the sellers house.

by chance are the wires reversed on the pump? this was a problem I ran into doing mine... The pump buzzed just fine but was sucking instead of blowing. Some fuel came out at the rail making it seem like it had minimal pressure but that turned out to be stagnent fuel. Flipped the wires around and full presure came...

Sorry for the repair post but after diagnosing for an hour or two I broke down and installed a new pump from checker and what do you know.....we're in business. I guess the. New/ used pump was junk. I read about a valve/diaphragm that goes bad in the pumps which won't let them build pressure but still run. I'm guessing this was the case w/the original and new/used one. To verify I bench tested all 3 and all three worked but the 2 bad ones didn't blow or suck at all like the new one.......

My wife's XJ died on her Sunday afternoon. I went over and checked it out. Brought startign fluid with me. It started on that. Had my voltmeter and went down the line and had power at the fuel pump/sender module. So, had it towed home, with a full tank of gas to deal with, and I removed the pump, which was less than a year old. Carter pump, still good. The ground wire supplied with the pump that runs from the pump to the top of the module had melted. The skinny connector was darn near burned off. Made up a new one and she's running again.

Back