• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel leak

Google -'jeep cherokee fuel pump install' . 1st one should be lunghd.com how to...
about half way down is picture of pump installed "View of twist Lock Ring".

Note that the little stop tabs are against the 'fingers' of the tank flange and lock ring is under the 'fingers' all around.

See GoJeep fuel tank mod for pictures of tank lock ring being turned, (Except use non sparking tools!)

If you have to restart the ring be sure fuel is less than 1/2 tank to avoid spill.

Ring should 'start' by hand all three places then tap on around to fully lock

(again if the stopper is not in the recess inside tank will tilt and cause problems.)

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Fuel_System/Fuel_Pump_Replacement.htm

I have to be honest here; I'm pretty confused. Are you giving instructions on how to loosen or tighten? Read the bits in the link and still pretty confused. Probably cause I'm not under there doing it as I read.

Are you saying my pump isn't in there firmly?

Yes both just in case you need to.

You need to really look at the references and look at your photos and carefully compare them, then you will see the differences.

Your lock ring is not properly installed in your photos which would most likely be causing the leak.

Don't know if the pump itself is in there firmly or not as I am not there, just trying to give a tip or two of what to watch for.

Good Luck,
Orange

Last edited:
here you go...

IMGP1500.jpg

Well done Mrmikey32!

90 waggy noted that the top tab looks like it is not under the flange finger but riding on top. Agreed looking at post #8 it sure does appear to be different than the bottom two.

Well done 90 waggy!

:cheers:

those lock rings arent the easiest thing to get right.....trust me. sometimes its the gasket thats holding u up so use some vaseline to hold it in the correct position then the lock ring should go nice and smooth if you alternate the point that you tap it in with.....just move around the ring until seated

Way to go above and beyond, Mrmikey32. :)

Thanks so much for that illustration. I should be able to get to this Monday. Working all day today. >.<

Also, that top part is different. I was feeling it, and the ring seems to be raised.

Im having a similar problem, have tightened the lockring and the leak persists, my jeep is a 97 XJ and its becoming downright annoying, any assistance would be appreciated.
I suspect a gasket is to blame but have yet to find the exact cause and since the jeep stays about 25 miles away, it makes it hard to run back and forth.

figure it would be good to mention that the cap is on top of the tank in the 97, pain in the ass. Its plastic also but on the plus side has more clips to hit it with the punch.
Thank you very much.

Last edited:
yeah, the locking ring on the 97+ is a pain, especially when it has adhered itself to the gasket and tank. I ended up cutting mine in half at one side, prying it off, and buying a new one.

Jeepcreep, you guys from the other side of the pond need to get your terminology correct when posting on US based forums. To us, a torch is used for soldering and welding, has a bright flame, and shouldn't be used for finding gasoline leaks.We call them flashlights over here. LOL
:nono:
LOL X2, Thats the funniest thing ive heard so far today!

yeah, the locking ring on the 97+ is a pain, especially when it has adhered itself to the gasket and tank. I ended up cutting mine in half at one side, prying it off, and buying a new one.
was able to get by just by tightening it ALOT, thinking when I fill it up again I may have issues, but hope not, replaced the gas cap also because I suspected a the pressure build up was causing it.

Filled up. Started dumping fuel all over before I could get out of the Chevron lot.

Probably going to take it to a shop now. Bummer is that I have to work at 9am tomorrow until 9am the next day. So I hope it stops leaking sometime soon...

Had it parked out on the street (passenger side was lower than driver side). I decided to park the passenger side up on the curb. Stopped leaking.

*shrug*

WHERE is it leaking????.

If its 'dumping'- should be showing a stream of fuel - look for the highest place its comming out.

Off top of tank?,or just around fuel pump? Other?

Back