• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Injector Leak

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
Fuel Injector
o-rings

The #1 injector was leaking on my 1990 so I searched the forums here and got the info for the o-ring kit and the general procedure for changing the o-rings. The part numbers from previous posts suggest that part number 83502745 is the o-ring kit containing 13 o-rings. This is actually the part number for the plastic retainer clip that holds the fuel line into the regulator.

The part number for the o-ring kit from the dealer is 8353637.

Overall the o-ring replacement went smoothly and took about an hour.

You are lucky if it was just the o-rings on injectors on a Renix engine. The injectors are made in two halves, with a seam between. Mine leaked at the seam, so I had to replace the injectors. I used Ford injectors purchased from fiveomotorsport.com. Service was good, price good, and my 1990 runs well with the Ford injectors......and no worries about an engine fire!

i would swap out the injectors with ford 19# injectors. it is the same amount of work to replace the o-rings as it is to install a set of new injectors. ebay has ford injectors cheap. well worth the upgrade and piece of mind. search here for ford injectors, tons of info

I picked up a set of the injectors that FiveOmotorsports sells, but was planning on installing them in my 1995.

After I had a chance to run the 1990 I noticed there was a small leak at the number 2 injector. The fuel was coming from the small seam between the plastic upper portion and the metal body of the injector.

Rather than put the "fancy" injectors in the 1990 I removed the injectors from the 1995 and installed them in the 1990. Then I installed the new injectors in the 1995. Both are running fine with no leaks.

For those who have installed the 5.0 19lb injectors, what have you done in terms of spacing them. There is a slightly different length to the 5.0 injectors. Have you added washers to hold the fuel rail slightly higher? Does it really matter? Am I just seeing things thinking they are slightly longer? I have searched, but not seen anything.

deisenba said:
For those who have installed the 5.0 19lb injectors, what have you done in terms of spacing them. There is a slightly different length to the 5.0 injectors. Have you added washers to hold the fuel rail slightly higher? Does it really matter? Am I just seeing things thinking they are slightly longer? I have searched, but not seen anything.

It should not matter - but you can use washers to take up the space between the fuel rail and intake if you like (I probably would - just for peace of mind. But, I'm funny that way...)

How much difference in length are we talking about, anyhow - and I'm assuming it's in favour of the Ford units?

With mine I had the problem that they were to far in the intake causing it leak fuel at the top of the injector. Push them fully into the rail then install into the intake.

88xjchief said:
With mine I had the problem that they were to far in the intake causing it leak fuel at the top of the injector. Push them fully into the rail then install into the intake.

That's what I'd suggest anyhow. The upper seal has to hold fuel at pressure - the lower seal simply holds air. You tell me - which is more important?:roll:

5-90 said:
Ah. So the problem is more that the "Longer" units are merely not seated fully, I take it?

They were the same length, the end that seats in the head is shaped differently than the OEM units and gives the appearance of being longer. Just make sure you push the rail in firmly until they are all seated. There shouldn't be much of a gap at the mounting tabs on the fuel rail if they are all fully seated.

Jeepsloth said:
They were the same length, the end that seats in the head is shaped differently than the OEM units and gives the appearance of being longer. Just make sure you push the rail in firmly until they are all seated. There shouldn't be much of a gap at the mounting tabs on the fuel rail if they are all fully seated.

Filed for future reference...

Back