• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER

Before you start writing checks, and because I don't see that you've mentioned it, when was the last time you replaced the plug wires, distributor cap and rotor?

I had the spark plugs changed and a fuel filter, but not the wires or distributor cap and rotor, should I have the D.Cap and rotor replaced, and for the wires, they look fairly clean from what I see, but when I had the plugs changed, should'nt the tech have noticed if the wires needed replaced?
Thanks

The plugs were just changed 3 weeks ago, so roughly only 70 miles on plugs, when you say get a FSM, sorry for the ignorance, but what is FSM, (fuel system ?)
Thanks

The plugs were just changed 3 weeks ago, so roughly only 70 miles on plugs, when you say get a FSM, sorry for the ignorance, but what is FSM, (fuel system ?)
Thanks

FSM = factory service manual.

are you able to do any of the work yourself? if not, you will spend alot on labor, roughly 100$ an hour at most shops. i found most people frown on labor cost, but 100$ an hour is what it cost for a professional service and IMHO, NOT a rip-off. this is why most people will recomend doing routine maintenance yourself.

im sorry but it amazes me how many people are dumb enough to take their crap to a shop for simple work and waste hundreds of dollars on a really easy DIY job. took me less then an hr to swap over my injectors havent had a single problem since

im sorry but it amazes me how many people are dumb enough to take their crap to a shop for simple work and waste hundreds of dollars on a really easy DIY job. took me less then an hr to swap over my injectors havent had a single problem since

not everybody enjoys mechanical work. do you take your taxes to an accountant? if you own a house, do you service the heating/ac? do you do all the elctrical work in your house? maybe, but not everyone can or have the desire to. calling someone dumb just because you find it easy, is a bit juvenial. some people aslos dont have the tools or space. i have a friend who caries one tool in his tool box, a phonebook, and he is far from being dumb.. its just how it is.

a vehicle to some is just that, a vehicle that gets them from one place to another and could care less about how it works.

now im not saying everyone is stupid that doesnt do their own work but alot of people on here are off road guys meaning they should have atleast a general knowledge of vehicles. it just really suprises me when people who will 4 wheel wont do basic work and makes me wonder what on earth they will do if they broke down while 4x4ing. dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with taking ur car to a mechanic but i dont see it being a good idea to off road if u need a mechanic for simple stuff. these old motors are cake to work on a really new car with alot of computer integration now i would def take to a mechanic if there was a problem due to the need of alot of training to know ur way around it

While you're yelling at him for not doing car work himself, can you please pay someone to proofread your posts? Or learn to do it yourself?

now im not saying everyone is stupid that doesnt do their own work but alot of people on here are off road guys meaning they should have atleast a general knowledge of vehicles. it just really suprises me when people who will 4 wheel wont do basic work and makes me wonder what on earth they will do if they broke down while 4x4ing. dont get me wrong theres nothing wrong with taking ur car to a mechanic but i dont see it being a good idea to off road if u need a mechanic for simple stuff. these old motors are cake to work on a really new car with alot of computer integration now i would def take to a mechanic if there was a problem due to the need of alot of training to know ur way around it

this is the " OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs" not, "Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's."

what does 4wheeling have to do with the OEM forum?

these old motors are cake to work on a really new car with alot of computer integration now i would def take to a mechanic if there was a problem due to the need of alot of training to know ur way around it

dont you need less knowledge with a newer car as all you need is a scanner to find the problem?

just look at how many people cant fix the renix because there is no CEL?

For plug wires, cap and rotor the only tool you need is a phillips head screw driver to unscrew the cap. All the wires are precut to length, just a matter of matching them up and not screwing up the order. I did the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, air filter on the wifes ZJ in about 45 min the other nite.

I think "Captain Obvious" might be my new favorite superhero. That said, I used to use some Justice Brothers cleaner and it worked great. They don't sell it in my town any more but I would definitely use it again.

now im not saying everyone is stupid that doesnt do their own work but alot of people on here are off road guys meaning they should have atleast a general knowledge of vehicles. it just really suprises me when people who will 4 wheel wont do basic work and makes me wonder what on earth they will do if they broke down while 4x4ing.

smart ones will off road with a bunch of gear heads so they can fix whatever breaks

otherwise, I'm a believer in Lucas FI treatments, worked on a few cars of mine.

doug

dont you need less knowledge with a newer car as all you need is a scanner to find the problem?

just look at how many people cant fix the renix because there is no CEL?

It is not easier to diagnose a new car. A scanner only gives you and idea to where to start looking for a problem. It is still up to the tech to pinpoint the root of it.:twak:

Back