• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: Oldsmobile Aurora reverse lights assembly

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Reverse lights assembly from an Oldsmobile Aurora....you have probably seen them added to XJ's before because they fit perfectly into the indentation on the rear tail gate.

I was originally going to add these to my XJ but later learned that if you have power locks that you would need to remove the power lock actuator in the tail gate. My XJ's tail gate was replaced at one point in its life and the key does not work in the lock assembly so my only way to open the tail gate is by using the power locks.....so adding these lights would make it impossible to lock or unlock my tail gate due to having to remove the power lock assembly.

Send me your offers on this...you can either pick up or I will ship at your expense. Thanks.

Aurora1.jpg

Aurora2.jpg

why would it not work with power locks?

Has anyone done this Mod to the 97+ models? I have only seen it on the older ones. Not sure if anything in the newer hatch would get in the way. Let me do some searching I may be interested.

I have never seen it done for 97-01.

It looks like there is plenty of room to mount it from the outside. Do you have a 97+? I can trade you something off the wrecked one. If not what are you looking for price wise? 20 shipped?

I have a 1995 and kind of lost interest in the whole Jeep thing.

I paid $20 or $25 for it at the junkyard about a year and a half ago or so.

I'd sell it for $20 if you came and got it though.

I have a 1995 and kind of lost interest in the whole Jeep thing.

I paid $20 or $25 for it at the junkyard about a year and a half ago or so.

I'd sell it for $20 if you came and got it though.
Find out what shipping is on that. I think I want to get it. Surely it will fit in a flat rate box.

Will do early this week. Should fit in the flat rate box, me thinks as well. How fast do you need it? I could just put it in a regular box and have it weighed ahead of time, the post office isn't very far from my house...PM me your address and what speed service you'd like and I can do it that way versus flat rate, might be cheaper since you are in the same state as me? Couldn't see a flat rate box being cheaper than conventional shipping to the same state.

Will do early this week. Should fit in the flat rate box, me thinks as well. How fast do you need it? I could just put it in a regular box and have it weighed ahead of time, the post office isn't very far from my house...PM me your address and what speed service you'd like and I can do it that way versus flat rate, might be cheaper since you are in the same state as me? Couldn't see a flat rate box being cheaper than conventional shipping to the same state.

NOt in a huge hurry. My hatch won't open at the present time. just shoot me a PM when you get the price.

Looked at all of the Priority flat rate boxes and it will not fit. 21" long, 6" wide, 4" tall...the biggest box is like 12" long. That big 12" Prioity flat rate box is $14.50. Those are rough measurements, it is actually a little bit smaller all the way around but that is the minimum size box it would need.

PM me your address and I will have to package it in another type of brown box....take it to the post office and have it weighed for delivery to you and then I will let you know.

I have these in my 95, and he mostly correct. I think I can rework the actuator, but its going to be tricky. I like them, and with some good bulbs, are pretty bright. I saw a set that had 2x the wattage of stock, which mine are, and I was really impressed. Thinks PIAA is the only source for the bulbs, and they were a bit pricy, and you do have to cut the crap out of the gate to get them in, but they look really cool. I will look for a pict of mine, painted black. I used weather stripping around the perimter... Cool mod.

I have these in my 95, and he mostly correct. I think I can rework the actuator, but its going to be tricky. I like them, and with some good bulbs, are pretty bright. I saw a set that had 2x the wattage of stock, which mine are, and I was really impressed. Thinks PIAA is the only source for the bulbs, and they were a bit pricy, and you do have to cut the crap out of the gate to get them in, but they look really cool. I will look for a pict of mine, painted black. I used weather stripping around the perimter... Cool mod.

I've seen yours ed and i like them. Thats why most likely i will get them. My 97 has manual locks and windows so i don't think it will be a big deal.

My buddy grabbed one of these when I grabbed mine. We installed these in his 96 back in the summer of 2008.

Cutting in to the tail gate didn't really matter....as alot had already been chopped at this point.

l_c3d35ecf7719578251a3f3a5b791b780.jpg

My buddy grabbed one of these when I grabbed mine. We installed these in his 96 back in the summer of 2008.

Cutting in to the tail gate didn't really matter....as alot had already been chopped at this point.

l_c3d35ecf7719578251a3f3a5b791b780.jpg

How did you wire those to the reverse lights? Just tap into the wires for each light or only one?

Used a relay to control the lights (power supplied directly from battery as to not overload stock reverse light circuit) and tapped in to the reverse lights to control the relay.

Also used a switch on the dash so that the option to manually turn on the lights is available. The switch on the dash controls all 4 lights, not just the Aurora lights.

There was an electrical fire in that Jeep that melted a lot of wires under the dash, to the left of the driver's seat, and behind the driver's seat.....I spent weeks rewiring it....but I got it right ;)

Too bad alot of my friends do not have the Jeep fever anymore....the fun has stopped, but I have to say I do miss it....in years past we had a hell lot of fun wheeling locally. Good things always come to an end, though.

Used a relay to control the lights (power supplied directly from battery as to not overload stock reverse light circuit) and tapped in to the reverse lights to control the relay.

Also used a switch on the dash so that the option to manually turn on the lights is available. The switch on the dash controls all 4 lights, not just the Aurora lights.

There was an electrical fire in that Jeep that melted a lot of wires under the dash, to the left of the driver's seat, and behind the driver's seat.....I spent weeks rewiring it....but I got it right ;)

Too bad alot of my friends do not have the Jeep fever anymore....the fun has stopped, but I have to say I do miss it....in years past we had a hell lot of fun wheeling locally. Good things always come to an end, though.

Ok, I figured a Relay would be needed. I don't want to burn the Jeep to the ground!. I have a set of Tail light boxes that need to be installed so the factory reverse lights on the Jeep will be gone. So basically I would get a relay with 5 pins and wire one wire to trigger the relay then run ground and power?

My buddy gve me a set of these, but how difficult do you think it would be in my 99? As I have a metal hath not fiberglass. The actuator wouldn't be a problem, id just rewire it out of the way

My buddy gve me a set of these, but how difficult do you think it would be in my 99? As I have a metal hath not fiberglass. The actuator wouldn't be a problem, id just rewire it out of the way

I'll find out when i do it if shipping on these is cheap enough. :D

Back