• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FS: 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport XJ Lockers Mods Lifted 5 Speed Santa Clara

z06elmo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,

Posting my car up for sale. I really have no idea what to ask but would like $10,500 for it. Please let me know if you guys think i'm way way off base, but this car has been good to me with a lot of the right mods. I'll post better photos in a bit. Located in Santa Clara. You can email me at dnguyen 81 @ gmail or PM

I have owned this jeep for about 4 years and have done 90% of the mods to the vehicle. I currently rarely have time to go to Hollister and in the last 2 years it's been a mall crawler or tail-gate vehicle. With the 49er's moving to Levis, I'm not going to Tailgate anymore either.

I'm going to try to be as detailed as possible in this description but I'm going to likely miss a lot. The car is setup pretty well. 5-speed XJs are very rare especially for this model year (last year of the XJ). On road it's a more engaging and drive than the 4 speed autos.

Vehicle Details:
2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport. 5 Speed, 150xxx Miles, Clean CA Title in my name

Axles (easily 6K Plus into these)
Rear Dana 44 with Factory 10 Axles (Have Factory Spares) ARB Rear Locker, SOLID rear cover 4.88 Gears
Front Polished High Pinon Dana 30 with Warn Hubs and Warn Axles (Have spares). ARB Front Locker. Upgraded VanCo Big Brake Kit which I believe are WJ Duel Piston Calipers with thicker larger rotors. It's using Magic Pads but I have some extra pads too. Custom Truss and Crane Cover, 4.88 Gears. The front axle was built by a well known magazine editor and is as polished as you can get a Dana 30 front.
Tom Woods Rear Drive Shaft
Custom Front Drive Shaft
Rubicon Express Slip Yoke Eliminator

Suspension/Steering:
Iron Rock Offroad Track Bar, Iron Rock Offroad Steering Kit, Rough Country Long Arm Front Kit with Curie Joints (not the cheap RC ones). 6.5 Inch IRO Springs. OME Front Shocks with Pin Re-locator. Custom Made Sway Bar Disconnects
Rear has Rubcion Express Leaf Springs with OME Shocks mounted on cut and remounted shock struts for clearance
Upgraded to a WJ Power Steering Pump with Durango (the better one with more ratio) Power Steering Box. Also has a power steering pump brace.

Wheels/Tires
Running on 35" Discoverer Cooper Tires with Steel Black Wheels. I have a full size spare as well.

Recover/Armor
ZJ Gas Tank Skid Plate, Lizard Rock Sliders with custom welded on Step/Guard, Bushwacker Flat Flares, ARB Front Bumper with a SmittyBilt XRC 8000 winch inside, 100 Watt Lights, Rear bumper is a semi custom detours USA swing out carrier bumper. I don't have the carrier on due to the weight savings. Also have a Thule Rack on top with a basket

Other Stuff:
K&N Filter CARB legal, Flowmaster Muffler with some rigged pipping going out the back, Sony Stereo with an Amp for the Subwoofer in back in a custom enclosure for the XJ. Has an upgraded Alternator I believe 140 amp model from a ZJ. I had to machine down the bracket a bit to fit. Changed out the radiator, water pump, and the belts a few years ago. I also have the upgraded Cable and battery kit from a member on NAXJA. This puts one large fuse i line, and gives better voltage to the battery, starter and fuse box.

Issues:
The switches sometimes work or dont on the driver side. I would have to manually lock or unlock doors. The headliner is beginning to droop. The paint is okay but not great considering hte car spends much of its' time outside. However it presents fairly well and has never been in an accident. the clutch neutral switch is acting up so I bypassed it. There is a leak in one of the AC pipes so it's not charged. I have new pipes to install.

I am open to trades and reasonable offers.

null_zps2cc8f5c5.jpg

P1000676_zps07517b33.jpg

P1000674_zps1ba53218.jpg

Most folks on here will agree that your price is high for a built cherokee. But what confuses the bejesus out of me is your price would be way low for a TJ. A stock TJ at that! My Daughters TJ is a 98' and very mildly built, but I know for a fact we could get 10K for it today.

I guess the fact that they sold a trillion XJ's is the reason. But they are going to dry up someday.

and the wrangler is an icon that holds value better than gold

price is high for almost anyone here viewing it. but post up ads in some of the rich areas of CA and you might get a bite at $8500.. tough market out there nothing XJ or offroad is really holding value right now. good luck with sale.

They are overvalued but it's legit. Two years ago she rolled her 98 TJ and we were paid off 4K MORE than what we paid for it! That's right, Geico paid us MORE than what we paid a year before that. They are going UP in value, lol. Go figure.

That's a nice clean rig. As for price yes it is a bit high for the cheap ass NAXJA guys(like me).

With that said I subscribe to the old addage of "it is only worth what someone is willing to pay." So if you don't get any interest at the price you want then drop it until you get some interest.

Sorry I couldn't be exactly helpfull but unless you are in a hurry, stick with the price and see what happens.

I've seen some very built late models , very clean , with low miles, stroker, atlas, for around 9k, and quite often, built right, not junk. 10k for something far less built with some issues is very high for the XJ market . If it had an atlas, 44/9, or 44/60, 44/44 al built up, with a stroker, I would say 10.5 is fair to start at and go down- so fix the AC, headliner, and throw an atlas and a stroker in it and you will have a chance at 10K.

. I have been helping club members find and buy clean late models and there are a lot out there. Straight, and clean with low miles and working AC. They sell fast, usually within a few days, so you wont be able to search craigslist and find them unless you look 2-3 times an hour. the crazy good deals sell within the hour. And there are lots of these deals that people never see because they go so fast. Anything still sitting on CL is still there for a reason- its not a good deal. keep that in mind . Also sounds like yours has some issues that these others don't. From my 10 years of buying countless XJs of all shapes and sizes and keeping up with market prices at a hourly level(most people are not this crazy, but I love XJs) I would price it at 6500 as high, 4000$ as fair, and 5000 as average. Ive seen built late models in good shape for 2500-3500$ . Its hard to accept it, but its not me making these interactions of supply and demand, the market naturally does this, I just track the prices and builds.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all the honest feedback. In looking around 10500 is way on the high side for the car. it's just as you know you put $ and blood and skin on it so it's just worth more to you.

New realistic asking price $8500!

and why can't I modify my original post?

Thanks guys for all the honest feedback. In looking around 10500 is way on the high side for the car. it's just as you know you put $ and blood and skin on it so it's just worth more to you.

New realistic asking price $8500!

and why can't I modify my original post?

ya I have around 15-18K in parts in mine, and probably like 1000 labor hours or more, possibly way more, and say the rig as a stocker was 1000$ . Even if I counted my hack job labor at just 4$ an hour its a 25K$+ rig. Thats a dead loss and I would be an idiot to think I could get even 10K out of it. But back down in reality its probably a 4-5K$ XJ on a good day which is exactly what I put just into building the front axle/suspension only . I know this. I would never sell it. Worst case I would part it out and probably bring in like 8-9K in parts value. But I will never get rid of it.

Last edited:
thanks for the advice guys. I likely could party out my jeep and get some $ back but would prefer someone just appreciate it for what it is now.

Smokinu - just ping me on PM or the email listed in the original ad. Lots of flakers on C-list and would prefer deal with someone in the community

Back