• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front winch bumper options?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
So, I am going to be building some new bumpers. I would like to improve the approach and departure angles as much as possible in this process. So here is my question. What are the drawbacks to using a multimount winch? I could suck the front bumper way up close in the front if all I had to do was mount a hitch point there. Same in the rear. So, what are the drawbacks, other than having to move it around when you need it. I am rarely in mud, so I am not terribly concerned about having to get out and put it on in the mud.
I know I will have to run power to both ends if that is what I want, but thats not a huge deal.
Is there anything else I am not thinking about? Winches just take up a lot of space up front. I could cut out the front crossmember in the front to pull hte winch back, but then I have to really work on making sure I tie it back together well. Sounds like more work. Thoughts? Suggestions?

There have been loads of threads about this in the last few months. A search of multimount or something equivelent should yield you a days reading.

I have receivers on both ends on my XJ. I just have a trailer hitch and a frame mountd hitch in the front, they're both low. The only thing I would change is I would put the receivers higher up. Try and mount them as high as you can and you should be just fine.

Back