• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front waggy 44 big brake setup

Outlander560

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys could use some help, for starters I have a waggy 44 with 5x5.5 lug pattern, chevy flat tops chevy small bearing spindles and ford hubs. The problem I'm having difficulty finding a write up on the dual piston brake setup. I came across a JP article but they used all different knuckles, spindles and hubs.

So my question is, has anyone converted a waggy 44 to a dual piston caliper using Chevy small bearing spindles and some other caliper bracket with the setup I currently have? Or do I have to go jp magazines way to get the dual piston big brake upgrade any help would be appreciated.

Forgive typos if any had a few tonight

What dual piston brake setup are you talking about? The Ford 1-ton stuff? You'd have to use F250 knuckles and all the outer components that go along with it, and then you'd have 8 lug outers.

you talking about this article?

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1206-vintage-jeep-dana-44-big-brakes/

the old school sliding calipers SUCK. they are huge but an old ass design that doesn't float well and doesn't give you the clamping power and control you think you'd get. its pretty much slow, slow, GRAB. that and they are just a pain in the ass to install and service. one of mine FELL OUT once. seriously, **** those calipers.

there is a wilwood kit:
http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Br...988&make=Jeep&model=Grand Wagoneer&option=All

you can also be a cheap bastard and just throw police caprice pads on it, and it gives you more surface area.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/b...4-chevy-brakes-waggy-brakes-included-1195206/

best way? PM MrBlaine here or on Pirate or go to his website and get in touch with him. he'll probably recommend the wilwood kit and his pads.

Sorry guys I didn't know there was multiple options. I was going to keep my 5x5.5 and not go the 8 lug route. In fact I didn't know k could do that with a saggy but it makes sense now that I think about it. XJLI yea that is the kit couldn't remember if it was four wheel or jps like I said I had a few last night and didn't care to double check haha

Thanks for the link to the will wood kit. I agree the stock calipers bring on the suck. I will go that route

Any recommendations for rotors or will stock replacements be fine

Talk to Blaine at Black Magic. His pads are literally magic. I am running his stuff front and rear (not Waggy though), and the stopping power is amazing. I think he can give you some very good recommendations.

David Bricker / SYR

I have driven with those brakes for some time and they just don't stop well at all. I have a ram 2500 master and zj prop valvs. Pedal is stiff but just doesn't seem to really stop well. I have good pads and from what I remember good rotors.decending from an obstacle that has a steep drop off is my main concern I can have both feet on the pedal (firm pedal doesn't fade) and it seems like there isn't enough clamping force.my caliper are mucho cheap 12 dollar ones

I have driven with those brakes for some time and they just don't stop well at all. I have a ram 2500 master and zj prop valvs. Pedal is stiff but just doesn't seem to really stop well. I have good pads and from what I remember good rotors.decending from an obstacle that has a steep drop off is my main concern I can have both feet on the pedal (firm pedal doesn't fade) and it seems like there isn't enough clamping force.my caliper are mucho cheap 12 dollar ones

interesting. I ran a stock xj dual diaphram booster and stock master and loved it. I also had small chevy rear discs. (not quite the half ton chevy waggy caliper size)

You have too much master cylinder. Swap the stocker back in/

When I had the stock master in the pedal was spongy. It was vacuum bled and traditionally bled still spongy. A while back in my build thread everyone recommended the 2500 master and it stiffened the pedal

Back