• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front stabilizer bar can move left and right by hand

Rescue Ray

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of finding out why I have an intermittent wobble in my front end (not speed related)

The first thing I noticed when moving things around is the front stabilizer bar can move left and right (through the bushings) by hand.

Is this suppose to happen?

Should I assume the bushings are worn and replace them?

Meaning also the anti-sway bars? If so, some movement is generally no problem. In fact, my friend runs his XJ without the antisway bar much of the time. I recently replaced the bushings on mine because its a daily driver and I feel it adds stability in cornering. It keeps the XJ from rolling side to side as much. :repair:

Also, I recently replaced my control arm bushings and ball joints because I had a wobble. Search posts using words like shimmy, or wobble. XJNation and MaXJohnson both seem to know what they're talking about.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13872&highlight=joints

Last edited:
That movment is quite common and definatly not the source of the wobble. When sway bar bushings get worn, they tend to cause a clunk if they are really loose. side to side movement is nothing to worry about.

But if it bugs you.. go get new ones.

Back