• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Single/Double Triangulated 4-link

uniquexjbannon

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of re-doing my frt suspension and doing a triangulated 4-link and I am wondering where might be some build threads and pics of this on a xj. Yes I've searched here and pirate..xjdb too. Came up with nothing. Help would be appreciated. thanks.
Heres what I have now..it works but not like i want
2925127670100387885S600x600Q85.jpg

2569760980100387885S600x600Q85.jpg

2972569720100387885S600x600Q85.jpg

what dont you like?

What do you want it to do that it doesnt do?

why do you want to change it? or is this more like a 'look what I did' thread?

Has too much wrap, doesnt stay centered, when at full droop it binds with the y link, ect. I know most of that is due to not enough vert seperation and where I put the links, but i was just curious if someone had done it. i wanted to weigh my options.

Why not rebuild the front you have now? Make the uppers the lowers, raise the wishbone up and get some more separation between the two. Triangulate the new lowers more or at least run a trackbar and wrist the center joint on the wishbone. That'll eliminate the bind. I've never built one or even messed with a 4link calc before, but that seems easier than building a new suspension.

if you run a track bar the axle will be over constrained... the point of the double triangulation is to eliminate that and have a fully constrained axle with only the 4 links... and they flex amazingly well.

the setup the OP has is more of a wishbone than a double triangulated 4 link... but the biggest reason people don't put them in the front of xj's is that the oil pan is in the way. moving the narrow links to the bottom is a pretty innovative way IMO to get around that. innovative yes, but i don't think i would want essentially only one lower. did you use a calculator when you designed this or did you just kinda measure and weld and guess that it would be good enough? suspension designs are designed specifically for certain behavioral characteristics (anti-squat, roll axis, etc). if you didn't do that, and i'm guessing you didn't... you can get issues like you're having.

I have thhought about swapping the links...it's the easiest way, but still doesn't cure every issue. I had a trackbar that I used to drive on highway, but like asp387 said it fights everything if u were to wheel with it on.
No I didn't use a link calc, because I was just experimenting with this suspension, I wanted something that didn't hang below the axle or unibody and away from the oil pan. So this is what I came up with.
So back to my question..if anyone knows where they can find a thread about a triang 4link, I would appreciate it.

Only a couple people have done it the right way on an XJ, IMO... and those that have, haven't posted much about it! Search for posts by Kaczman on here and on XJDB.
Billy
Thanks man. I'll do it.

Does the binding have anything to do with the Drag link? I'm currious if going full hydro will do anything?

It seams the suspention wants to move up and down on one plane, but with that drag link attached it wants to swing it to the drivers side while at droop.

Does the binding have anything to do with the Drag link? I'm currious if going full hydro will do anything?

It seams the suspention wants to move up and down on one plane, but with that drag link attached it wants to swing it to the drivers side while at droop.

He would have to have one helluva grip on that steering wheel!
biggrin.gif

Billy

Well I did just convert it to full hydro to help with the drag link pushing the axle. Hoping that helps, but really just wanted fix it for good.

I'd highly recommend using the 4 link calculator on Pirate to get some hard data. It looks like the roll center is below axle center line and anti-dive must be over 200%. Are the outer links angled in? With your design, they need to be angled out to keep the axle centered. A front 4 link on an XJ is very difficult to fit without making compromises. Is there any reason you don't want a 3 link with a track bar?

Here's a couple old pics of my setup. I am far from an expert, but it has worked well for the past 5 years.

100-0004_IMG.jpg

Axle.jpg

-Jon

Most of us do 3 links because it's so hard to fit a good triangulated 4 link in there. Study Kaz's, it's very well done and works. I'm not surprised you're looking to improve yours, it looks like it could have some inherent problems. But, that's how we learn and figure things out.

The axle wrap likely has as much or more to do with the joints and the arm angles as the seperation. That amount of seperation should work if the other stuff was good.

kaz's crossmember is impressive, i'll say that. nevermind the fact that it's a double triangulated 4 link front... what how much travel is kaz running? all i can see is an upper arm making buddies with the oil pan. i'm sure you've addressed that issue though

I'm running 12" travel shocks and use every bit of them.
album_pic4.jpg

I also have limited my up travel to help keep the pass upper arm off the oil pan, but I've dented the corner on some hard hits. I'm only running 5.5" lift with the 38's, so it's definitely not a pre-runner. There is room to fit everything but there are packaging issues, especially if you want to keep the rig low and stable. If I had to do it over, I'd probably go with a 3 link and track bar. I love the way mine works, but it was a PITA to build and tune.

-Jon

kaz's crossmember is impressive, i'll say that.
Yeah I agree, it is nice!

Kaz--yes the links are angled in..ran out of room, but if I swap it they will be angled out.
I don't have reasons not to go with a 3 link, just wanted something different than what everyone runs..its a curse!!
Thanks to you and Goatman for the info! if I have some more questions or decided to do it I'll let yall know. Thanks--Chris

When we did 3 links they were different. When I did mine I could only find one rig, anywhere, that had a 3 link. Later they became popular with moon buggies, so other buggies started to be built with 3 links. They have become popular in the front of XJ's because they work, and they fit.

Being "different" is relative. :)

Back