• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front main seal coincide with bad harmonic dampener?

streetpirate

NAXJA Forum User
my xj ate a new belt rather quickly, and im getting the chirping assosiated with the harmonic balancer eating the timing cover.

my question is, it seems that at the same time my front main seal has gone out, with an almost steady stream of oil dripping out from behind the HB.
is there any reason for this? or is it a coincedence?

No coincidence. Sounds related to me. Your HB has probably been going out for a while now. You gotta remove it to do the front seal anyways, so replace it while you do and your problems should go away.

I just replaced my timing set in the MJ last weekend, and found the damage my HB was just starting to do to the timing cover. It wasn't bad enough that it needed replaced, but I got a new HB on the way (I shaved the offending rubber off the back of the stock one with a razor knife temporarily). See here for some pics:

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=903937

Jeff

Back