• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front locker and no rear DS

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
well i just got my lift in and i am doing a bunch of other stuff ford 8.8 sye and a few others sooo i was wondering if anyone has ever driven with the rear driveshaft removed with a locker up front how bad is it i am assuming that it will act the same as haveing the rear locked in 2wd i know in 4wd it hops and skips with the locker i have and aussie locker up front very simmilar to powertrax

i love everybody's imput on some subjects but please only reply if you have done this or have personal experience in the matter, I don't need any theorys on how lockers work and what might happen just if it will work or not

I broke the yoke on my rear axle a few weeks ago. I was only about 3 miles from my dad's garage, so I thoght why not just pull the rear shaft and limp it there. I don't know why, but above about 15 mph I got a horable sound from the t case. In theory this should not happen, but it did. Got the yoke on, and no more problems. I don't know if this will help, just my experiance. I can't remember if you said what t case you run, this was with a 231.

You can limp with just the front and a locker, but I would deffinatly not recommend it for regular use. It will not be like have a rear full time locker, it is totally diffrent since it is for the wheels that steering. You will have a hell of a time steering, keep it straight, and will put quite a bit of stress on them u-joints.

i drove from Blairsville, GA to home, 275+ miles and then some. after i broke my yoke. i have a Detroit in the front, it will drive "very odd" to say the least, ( can you say torque steer) but the chain in the TC is the same as FWD cars and full time 4WD so don't drive hard and you will be fine.

You will have odd pulls and jerks if you drive with just the front shaft. I did this a bit back to try and diagnose a noise, and wouldnt recommend it for anything more than a short(less than a mile) trip.

Fergie

I drove like that (with a lockrite) for almost a week once for some reason (waiting on a shaft to get balanced I think) It sucked but I survived. I have a stick so every time I put in the clutch or let it out the torquesteer would jerk me around. :eek: I got pulled over for driving nutty but was able to talk my way out of any kind of ticket.:looney: It did fine on the freeway as long as I was just cruising but stop and go :eek: would really blow! Good Times!

thanx for the info i think i am gonna run it like that till my ds comes int from tom woods my rig should be all hooked up once i'm done with this little hurdle

I hope you're in southern RI.

I could NEVER deal with northern RI traffic drivin something like that (mainly, the amount of massholes on the road)

I had to go 3 weeks with out a rear shaft as I did an axle swap, sye, and new driveshaft all at once. I had a Lockrite up front and it torque steered like no other. I would not recomend it unliss you absolutly had to and even then wouldnt recomend it. I ended up pulling out the front lockrite and putting the stock spiders back in there. Even with the front being open, it still pulled from the torque steer. As for being easy on it, I wailed on it just because I had a new front axle going under it:D The u joints where old 260x joints too. It was very easy to light the front end up and have smoke pour off the tires.

AARON

jode said:
Shoot, that is practically reason alone to do it :cool:

The only thing about that is you look like a dumb ricer with FWD :wierd:

Its so much better smoking the rears up and thus instilling the powerfull image of RWD power:)

But if you really wanted to show off, smoke all 4:D I can do it in the snow:D:D:D

AARON

Back