• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front leaf converson, shackles in the rear???

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone that has done the leaf conversion on an XJ put a solid mounting point on the front and shackles in the rear? This is the way mine is set up and I have yet to test it (gotta finish up some welds before it's ready to roll). I used to have a Samurai with a shackle reversal and I really liked it but while searching all I could find was people that had the shackles on the front in a "shackle forward" design. Mine is set up to where when the springs are pushed up the shackle moves backwards in the rear (towards the back).

Is it personal preference or is there a reason for not doing a shackle reversal?

TIA

I'm in the process of leafing the front. I was gonna run shackles in the front. The only gain with shackles in the rear, that I can think of would be a better ride. With rear shackles you would need a long travel drive shaft.
I'm interested to see what others think.
chadc

lack of anti-dive will result in heavy nose dive under when braking. If you have any degree of bump or ride steer, this will magnify it.

MaXJohnson said:
lack of anti-dive will result in heavy nose dive under when braking. If you have any degree of bump or ride steer, this will magnify it.
so you're saying that putting the shackles in front will create the anti-dive feature?

If you put the shackle in front, you will some anti-dive. The percentage will depend on the fixed spring eye position, spring length, stiffness and amount of arch and, spring-over vs spring-under. A shackle in the rear, just the opposite; pro-dive.

Back