• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end wobble in 4wd....Help!!

awesome_xj

NAXJA Forum User
So I just bought a 1991 Cherokee laredo, and I love it. Totally stock right now, but soon to be fixed. Now, on to the problem...when I put it into 4WD, high or low, the front end shakes around like crazy! It isnt as bad in a straight line, but when i turn in either direction the steering wheel shakes and the whole car moves up and down. And its even worse in 4 low than its is in 4 high. The weird thing is that it doesnt do anything like this at all in 2WD. At first i thought front driveshaft, but it shouldnt get worse when turning...right??

Are you driving it on the street with it in 4WD? or in the dirt/gravel? if on the street your getting wheel hop from the tires trying to spin at different speeds. (gets worse when turning)
In 4WD the axles are tied together and spin at the same speed. In the dirt the tires can slip so you don't feel it. Don't drive with it in 4WD on the street unless the roads are really really slick. (like ice or lots of snow.) or if you have a 242 tcase and then only in 4 FULLTIME.

Holy sh!t...I feel like an idiot. I totally should have known that. Just for the record, I wasnt driving it on the street in 4WD cuz i thought i needed to...i just went around my block to see if the 4WD worked properly....I should have known not to do it on dry pavement. Thank you for bringing that to my attention. :laugh2: I believe the problem is solved....:anon:

Back