• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bumper with only 2" receiver no winch mount?

nicpaige

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking for a new front bumper for my 2000XJ but I would rather just have one with a 2" receiver and mount my winch on a plate I can install in the receiver as needed. Does anyone see a problem with this type of setup? I know JCR makes, one how about anyone else?

As I got older I found a big problem with this. Getting it in and out of the receiver gets old. I just got a bumper from JCR. I really love the winch bumper I just got from them

When I built my bumper I put a 2" receiver and acquired a winch cradle. While I like not carrying the winch around all the time , I don't like the cradle. It sticks out way far and unless your jeep is really tall it will plow into the ground when nose down. If I had to do again I'd put the winch behind the bumper .

I had already built this bumper when I added this winch tray.
P1080136.jpg

P1080137.jpg

I should add that this is a receiver bumper.
P1030902.jpg

thats the way i do it w/ a jcr bumper, works great just slide it in & quick connect it. i really dont want the winch on there all the time, out in the elements , plus the extra weight & it in the way when you need to open the hood or work under the hood. imo anyway

Go lift a fully dressed winch with a receiver plate attached a few times and you'll see the biggest problem with this setup. Winches are freaking heavy, and the mounts aren't light either. Add to that the fact that generally mounting like this causes the winch to stick out really far, and often really low and that means you basically can't wheel with it in place. That mean finding a way to secure it inside the vehicle, which isn't that easy. What's more difficult is getting it out when the rig is at an odd, steep angle and trying to get it in place, assuming that the front bumper isn't obstructed in some way.

Nearly everyone I've seen do this has hated it and changed to a normal winch bumper.

While I agree with the above that I find my winch bumper easier than a receiver mount that doesn't answer your question. Most if not all manufactures of winch bumpers for the xj also offer a receiver bumper. Just google jeep xj front bumper and you won't be disappointed. I was going for a reciever bumper at first as I have a portable winch I use on my tractor I was going to use but I was given a 9k winch and found an open box sale on a bumper and put it together for less than the receiver bumper I was lookjng at.

Go lift a fully dressed winch with a receiver plate attached a few times and you'll see the biggest problem with this setup. Winches are freaking heavy, and the mounts aren't light either. Add to that the fact that generally mounting like this causes the winch to stick out really far, and often really low and that means you basically can't wheel with it in place. That mean finding a way to secure it inside the vehicle, which isn't that easy. What's more difficult is getting it out when the rig is at an odd, steep angle and trying to get it in place, assuming that the front bumper isn't obstructed in some way.

Nearly everyone I've seen do this has hated it and changed to a normal winch bumper.

i keep my winch setup on a shelf in my garage same height as the the insert on bumper, so im not lifting from the floor, i wouldnt care for that. i always put it on the jeep before going wheeling , it could indeed be a difficult job on the trail when its needed. mines up high too ive never had it hold up my progress in any way. but you make good points, points that ive gotten around fairly well however.

Ill be picking up my bumper with a 2" receiver this week. The reason I went that style is my xj is my dd. I figured itd be better for the winch to be out of the weather, itd shave some weight off the front end, and keep sticky fingered individuals from trying to steal it. But if I go to bantam, or a local trail ride, ill toss the winch in the rear floorboard and if I need it, ill grab it. That and wv has some nasty salt that they like to coat the roads with during the winter and that isn't too healthy for the winch.

Add to that the fact that generally mounting like this causes the winch to stick out really far, and often really low and that means you basically can't wheel with it in place.

Mine is almost the same as the winch bumper I made. I have never regretted the temp mounting system, it's just as strong and like already sais I put it on "before" I go!
IMG_0549_zpsa9614cb4.jpg

Back