• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bearing hub life

Anyone know the answer to my question about how stiff they should feel and if they should be about the same? (last post on the first page.)

Not having any problems (with the hubs, anyway), just wondering.

Anyone know the answer to my question about how stiff they should feel and if they should be about the same? (last post on the first page.)

Not having any problems (with the hubs, anyway), just wondering.
There's a good bit of preload on the bearings, they're also big bearings and filled with grease, and the seals add a bit of drag as well. A good hub in the hand will feel smooth, but a bit stiff, and certainly won't spin. On the vehicle, I've found they're usually a bit stiff, but because of axle shafts, brake drag, etc., it's pretty hard to evaluate. I usually assume if they're smooth, no rumble or vibration, stiff without obvious dryness, and without play, they're still OK. Don't expect the wheel to spin freely.

89 xj completely stock, over 260k. have not replaced the bearings yet, but when i can afford to i will be replacing both driver-side & passenger-side (in hopes that that will stop my death wobble).
but the DW only happens when i hit a nice sized crack in the road, other wise it is fine.

Depends entirely on if you keep the factory wheels, take it off-road alot, how much lift you have, sway-bars or no sway-bars. Lots of factors. Mine only last me about 1 yr/20k, just enough time to still warranty them. That reminds me I think I need new ones again.
Yes, thank you, I am aware of that. Just a simple question of how many miles regardless of use, abuse, setup, gearing, lift, tires, wheels, etc.

Back