• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

From a D35 to a Chrysler 8.25. How difficult?

TheWarWagon

NAXJA Forum User
A local SoCal chapter member recently donated a chrys 8.25 rearend to my cause. How difficult is the swap? Am I going to need to add new shock mounts, spring seats, etc?

Should just bolt in. May have to mod your driveshaft.

It will bolt in, but you will need new u-bolts, and your driveshaft will need to be shortened.

I recently did the same swap (put a 29 spline 8.25 from a 97 in to my 91 to replace the D35).

As stated above, the U-bolts and spring plates are different, but for the most part it should drop right in.

I had to use my Dana 35 E-brake cables, because the 8.25 had the wrong ones on it. All of the brake parts were directly interchangable between the two axles though; I actually used my D35 brake pads and drums since they were in better condition.

The nose of the 8.25 is a little bit longer than the Dana 35, so you may (or may not) need to have your drive shaft shortened about 1 inch. I didn't shorten mine; I have a 3" lift and the drive shaft seems to still have enough room to travel in the transfer case. I am definitely keeping a close eye on it though just in case.

When you disconnect the brakes to remove the axle, I found the easiest way was to remove the square fitting on the driver side axle tube that the flexible line goes in to. This requires unthreading the 2 hard lines that go in to this fitting, and unscrewing the breather tube fitting (thats what holds the block to the axle tube). The breather tube fitting was a different size on my Dana 35 and the 8.25; I used the D35 fitting since I didn't feel like changing the breather tube.

Overall this swap is about as simple as it gets; as long as you know how to bleed brakes and use a torque wrench.

At 4.5" of lift, going from a d35 to a 29 spline 8.25, i was unable to use my old driveshaft. It would fit .. but the yoke was fully engaged, and a good bump would have shoved it through the output bearing on the transfer case.

Well, I'm running a 3" lift, with the 4wd Auto. I don't think it's that severe of an angle, is it?

while you have the 8.25 uninstalled, should go ahead and shave it, lock it, and gear it! perfect time.

djblade311 said:
while you have the 8.25 uninstalled, should go ahead and shave it, lock it, and gear it! perfect time.

Josh, you fund the project; I'll do whatever you want to the ole heep

Brice, I have some new u-bolts you can have. Are you going to the M&G next week? I can bring them. And if you're interested, I have some 29-spline shafts.

I'm getting ready to do this to my 90' since I have a brand newly rebuilt 8.25 sitting in my parts building and I really don't like D-35's. As far as I can tell just use a stock 8.25 drive shaft and you will be fine. With everyone including myself going to SYE conversions, stock driveshafts are easy and cheap to come by, I've got several laying around.

Holy crap! Reading xjtrailrider's post made me remember that I have my stock 8.25 driveshaft in the garage. It's yours Brice, if you want it.

xjtrailrider said:
I'm getting ready to do this to my 90' since I have a brand newly rebuilt 8.25 sitting in my parts building and I really don't like D-35's. As far as I can tell just use a stock 8.25 drive shaft and you will be fine. With everyone including myself going to SYE conversions, stock driveshafts are easy and cheap to come by, I've got several laying around.

Did you rebuild it yourself?

xjohnnyc said:
Holy crap! Reading xjtrailrider's post made me remember that I have my stock 8.25 driveshaft in the garage. It's yours Brice, if you want it.

Johnny, any donations you want to make to The War Wagon build up would be greatly appreciated. I keep getting conflicting reports on whether or not I need shorter driveshaft. I'm so confused...

Well, I looked for the driveshaft which should've been in the garage. I must've given it to one of the parts whores (Remi, Sequoia, Cal). But I DO have the u-bolts, which I'll bring to the M&G.

If you have any lift at all it should fit fine. Mine is lifted 3in, and with the D35 and the 3in lift the d/s was pulled out a little less than a 1in. When i swapped the 8.25 in, the d/s was pushed back in about 1in. I also gained another 1/2in in lift due to the spring perches being a little higher.

perez said:
d35 and 8.25 both suck. i dont think putting money into ether of these is a smart move but thats just my opinion
so a 29 spline 8.25 is a total pile of junk eh? Better not tell that to all the people running 35's on them :shhh:

Back