• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze Plug question

gmcelroy

NAXJA Forum User
I am rebuilding a 93 4.0 and have removed the freeze plugs. I purchased some 2 inch plugs from NAPA and prior to installation coated them very lightly with permatex. However, it seems like I can merely push them into the block flush using my fingers without banging them in????
If I really try they will go all the way thru......

Is this normal or did NAPA sell me the wrong plugs?

u might need metric, but dont quote me on that, i will try a search.

Go pick up some brass ones, they should not go all the way thru using hand pressure.

block plugs are 2". definitely should not "push" through, sounds like they gave you the wrong size. should require medium-ish tapping with a hammer-like object and a proper sized socket to seat them properly. use brass or stainless, you won't be sorry.

I coated mine. Something else I did just to make sure I got them in right was to borrow (rent) a cooling system pressure tester from Murray's. Made sure none of them were leaking before I put the manifolds & injectors back on. I guess if you are rebuilding out of the car, this test would be impossible now.....but nevertheless a suggestion for anyone else....

i have never coated mine with anything, and have never had a properly installed plug leak. a machinist i worked with always put a little "hardening" sealer of some kind on the freeze plugs in the engines he built and to my knowledge, he never had any leaks either. he used permatex sealer no.1, maybe? can't remember now. i guess it comes down to personal preference.

Back