• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

freeze plug advice

Jess

NAXJA Forum User
I was just giving the wife's new DD (93 ZJ 4.0) the seafoam treatment when I saw antifreeze start to dribble onto the ground. When I got down under it to check it, both the second and third freeze plugs (from the front on the side) are leaking. The second is not so bad, but the third was starting to leave a puddle. I have never changed freeze plugs before and need some instructions. I know I am going to have to pull the manifolds to get to them, but how do I get them out? I know there are both brass and rubber plugs. Does anyone have firsthand experience with the rubber ones? As far as replacement goes, I think I should be able to drive them in with either some plate steel or a wood 2x4. How long should I set aside for this job?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

I think I set a new record. From the time I turned the first bolt until I pulled the exhaust manifold was slightly less than 45 minutes. I could only see 4 plugs with the manifolds in, but after they were out, there are 5 plugs. Both the second and the fourth show obvious signs of leakage. I had no luck finding the plugs locally, so I ordered a set from the dealership...which should be here in the morning. I have not yet tried to remove any of the plugs...any advise would be appreciated.

I just went out to pull the freeze plugs and I cleaned the block around them and found 2 cracks in the block....directly above the plugs. I looks like the plugs are good and the block is what is leaking.

A cheap jeep has just turned into a pain in my a$$.

Sorry, man. That stinks. JB Weld?

I know where a motor is close to you. Hey Matt...

i know how to pull the motor out...

matt showed me...

PLASMA!!! :gee:

Matt just helped me get everything off the engine. I have the bolts that hold the engine and tranny together and the motor mounts left. The engine from the bumble bee is going in Sunday.

yay!!!
glad everything is working out for ya...

Ya know, a machine shop could fix the block for you, sounds like Stroker time!!!

See, the Bumble Bee lives on!!!!

Never say die!

The bumblebee lives on.

We got the engine in the ZJ this afternoon and I've put about 40 miles on it and it runs great.

Back