• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free to bad home: '98 4x4 AW4, ~250k miles

kastein

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Fits 98-01

Comes with torque converter and whatever other crap happens to be stuck to it. The NSS connector is cut off, the solenoid/sensor harness is unmolested.

It has a buttplug made out of PVC pipe fittings jammed in the output housing so it won't leak ATF everywhere (as much) or get waterlogged if it sits for a while outside.

Has all the shifter/throttle cables still on it.

I'm not gonna lie, I've beat the hell out of this thing: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=246066989&postcount=4

It has seen more abuse since then, but still pulled like a champ, shifted firmly, and showed no real problems when I pulled it to do the 5 speed swap.

It's sitting in the woods next to the road to my house because I didn't feel like dragging it to work again, so I threw it out the back of the XJ.

Someone take it or I'm ripping it apart and making furniture out of it. Would be a fine "slap it in to get to work Monday" spare, or flush the fluid and beat the hell out of it for another few hundred thousand miles, I don't care.

Yup! I've been banging gears since Monday night. Spent the whole weekend tearing the AX15 apart completely down to individual parts, cleaning everything, replacing any damaged parts, then tore the drivetrain out, resealed/regasketed the engine, gave it new rod bearings, put the transmission on it, did an SYE, and stuffed it all back in.

Now I have this stupid AW4 sitting around looking ugly.

<.< motivation sir! and I drove mine up and down the street last week TYVM! lol Now I have to do front breaks again since it has been sitting a year.

I need to do my front breaks again, a 1 35min (prefer 2), rewire my starter and NSS, and then my back up lights. All the wiring I plan to do at work on days it is dead. Been trying to find a pair of cheap 35s since last fall lol. There is more I "should" do but I just want to be in the woods. Been way too long.

It looks like this dumb thing will probably be gone soon.

Jay, I know how that goes... I still need to rewire the reverse lights, and it looks like my turn signals went out to lunch today as well, so I really drive like a masshole now.

Billy, I did a valve cover gasket, OFA o-rings, oil pan gasket, new rod bearings, an SYE, completely tore down, cleaned, inspected, and reassembled the transmission going in, and did a few brake lines and calipers, too. It was a busy weekend. Drove to work Friday as a clapped out auto with a nasty rod knock when cold, vibes so bad at 80 I couldn't see anything in the mirrors, drove home Monday after work as a 5 speed with an SYE, no fluid leaks, and zero driveshaft vibrations :D

Back