• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Free queensland heeler/ australian cattle dog

I think they get to be around 40ish pounds? My mom's mix topped out at 40-50 (might've had around 10 lbs of fat though as she's pretty old now;))

If san diego overland does not take her, I will. She would have a very good home and be spoiled. We would teach her to go on horse rides like our other healer and go camping too. We have plenty of room (horse property) that she can roam around on and act like a dog.

ok so i found out that she doesnt get along with goats i guess.. my grandma tried giving her to someone that had a goat and i guess it didnt work out lol.. idk the extent of it, but just letting you guys know. my grandma thinks that she was trying to herd the goat and nipped at its foot or something and the guy freaked out, because she didnt hurt the goat, and it didnt have to go to the vet or anything..

If san diego overland does not take her, I will. She would have a very good home and be spoiled. We would teach her to go on horse rides like our other healer and go camping too. We have plenty of room (horse property) that she can roam around on and act like a dog.

that sounds perfect as well, i really do want her to go somewhere where she has a lot of room.. i will let you know as soon as i find out from him.. thank you

ok so i found out that she doesnt get along with goats i guess.. my grandma tried giving her to someone that had a goat and i guess it didnt work out lol.. idk the extent of it, but just letting you guys know. my grandma thinks that she was trying to herd the goat and nipped at its foot or something and the guy freaked out, because she didnt hurt the goat, and it didnt have to go to the vet or anything..
The dog was trying to herd the goat is all, its just a small nip at the heals (its instinctual). My healer at first tried herding the horses the same way until he was taught to leave them alone. Let me know what ever happens with the other interested party.

Hey guys, I had another long conversation with my wife at dinner tonight. I think we have decided not to get a dog right now, and so, will pass on the opportunity to meet wendy.

We love dogs, we already can tell we'd love wendy, and we have more than enough space for her.

It really comes down to two things:

- We don't think we have the time to devote to her, that she'd need to be part of the family, due to our new baby.

-And, with three kids running around the house, one of which is an infant and one of which is a toddler, we don't feel right putting wendy in a position to possibly end up with a bit record, because one of our genious daughters did the wrong thing, and caused her to react...

Thanks so much, Alek, for the communication. Sounds like FSD has just the place for her with lots of land and another heeler to romp with. :)

Sounds like

The dog was trying to herd the goat is all, its just a small nip at the heals (its instinctual). My healer at first tried herding the horses the same way until he was taught to leave them alone. Let me know what ever happens with the other interested party.

Yup, agreed. Very common behavior. Most smart owners will give the dog a toy to hold in its mouth when herding to avoid the nipping, or will positively reinforce not nipping with a reward system...

Hey guys, I had another long conversation with my wife at dinner tonight. I think we have decided not to get a dog right now, and so, will pass on the opportunity to meet Wendy.

We love dogs, we already can tell we'd love Wendy but it really comes down to two things:

- We don't think we have the time to devote to her, that she'd need to be part of the family, due to our new baby.

-And, with three kids running around the house, one of which is an infant and one of which is a toddler, we don't feel right putting wendy in a position to possibly end up with a bite record, because one of our genious daughters did the wrong thing, and caused her to react...

Thanks so much, Alek, for the communication. Sounds like FSD has just the place for her, with lots of land and another heeler to romp with. :)

Edited for clarity

It's the goat's fault, not Wendy's. Goats are freaking stubborn & don't like to be "told" anything by anyone. I still have emotional scars from childhood encounters with our goats. For a while it was my job to get them out to the field in the mornings ... before school. They wouldn't listen to me. They refused to move. They dug their heels in. I remember many days just sitting in the middle of a country road crying like a baby because the goats completely ignored me. I hate goats and so does Wendy.

um ... are my scars showing ... ? I need therapy ... :eyes:

SanDiegoOverland, let me put your mind at ease.

I have a 13 month old daughter, I have been around my parents queensland since i was 7. Their dog loves my daughter, will not snap at her, lets her pet her, love her, whatever scream at her it doesn't matter. It is in the breeds nature to be the loving protectorate of children. They are worse around adults then they are around children. I would be willing to promise you that the dog would never bite or hurt a child ever. Thats just in their nature.

Also as far as the being part of the family thing they love that, my parents dog sits and watches TV with my dad all the time. They are kind of hyper, but if you have all that land she will be more then happy to be outside. Get a frisbee and 15-20 minutes a day of throwing that thing and the dog will be happy as a pig on a shit farm.

These are absolutely the best dogs you can get for kids, I have been around them my entire life. My parents have had two and when their current dog passes they will likely get another. Oreo (parents dog) is 15 now I believe, she has definitely slowed down and she weighs about 58-62 pounds, yes she is way overweight.

I would even be willing to transport the dog to SD if you needed that to happen. They are great dogs man.

I hope my experience in this made you maybe change your mind. They are absolutely incredible animals and so good with kids. My 13 month old loves Oreo, plays with her tail and stuff and Oreo has never once snapped or even growled. The only time she does that is when she plays rough with me or my dad and she knows that its rough time and she knows when to stop. They are incredibly smart.

I hope someone takes this dog, its a shame that no one has yet. They are awesome dogs. If i had the room I would have taken it in a heartbeat man.

damn, i can't believe no one has taken her..... i'm going to bug the crap out of my landlord, see if i can get the ok. imo, there is NO better dog. living in a pretty rural area here, i think she'd be stoked.

well i just got off the phone with my grandma and she found wendy a new home locally.. thanks for all the interest and replies though!

Back