• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Forward-mounted Storage

Consider the environment we're operating in. It's entirely possible that you're going to push your design past original design specs - so you expand them to account for that.

Problem solved.

So I'm not a poor engineer, just an over-engineer. I like that better!

Thanks!

Robert

Hope the tool chest is bolted down well because all that stuff will kill you in a role over.

I'm pretty sure he's got that covered!

Do you mean like a "false floor," six inches higher than the real floor? I'm considering something like that for my axleshafts.
That's exactly what I have planned. High enough so that the top with hinged lids will sit flat across the trans. tunnel in the middle.

I figure I could build the floor up to the bottom of the door/drawer. Depending on the size of your "little ones," you could go higher, though if you go too high, you won't be able to fold the rear seat...
Five and two years old. Neither one's feet touch the floor now, so I imagine it could only help them. Also, when I take the back seat out, I totally remove the seat cushion part of the rear seat and just fold the back down. I'm slightly over 6'2," so I don't sleep back there at all (I have--just not comfortably). I only put it down for extra space on extended fishing/'wheeling trips.

Thanks for the advice with the tool chest, too. Much appreciated.

Tim

*Update*

I reloaded all my gear this weekend for our trip to Haspin, so I finally got pictures of just how much will fit in that box...

cabinet20.jpg

The tool rolls are 10-12 endwrenches each, one standard, the other metric...

cabinet21.jpg

cabinet24.jpg

cabinet25.jpg

So like I said, the only problem now is trying not to bring too damn much...

Robert

Looks nice and organized, though. I've got almost that much stuff packed into two large steel toolboxes. Putting my chest in the back as you've done would really make locating things much nicer.

Good job again.

I dig the work you've done and always liked the idea of centering the load behind the seats - all my rigs have had the storage kept in the rear and I've always noticed the weight transfer being an issue when trying to climb a steep obstacle.

But with the kind of trails I generally run, I think that keeping the tools organized and quiet would be really difficult if I made something with drawers. I'd get annoyed REAL quick with all the banging, clanging in the drawers. I think for my purposes, I'd swap out the tool box part with 3 or 4 large ammo boxes to pile tools into, then wad up rags on top of the tools to keep 'em from making noise and shifting around. Label the boxes and be able to pull a box out to get to the tools.

I really dig the other side with the fluids and such. :thumbup:

Really cool concept!

But with the kind of trails I generally run, I think that keeping the tools organized and quiet would be really difficult if I made something with drawers. I'd get annoyed REAL quick with all the banging, clanging in the drawers...

I really dig the other side with the fluids and such. :thumbup:

Really cool concept!

Thanks.

The rattle-factor was a big concern to me, too. I actually loaded up the craftsman chest (before I built the wooden cabinet) and drove around with it in the back seat, to test for noise.

The drawers are lined with two layers: a basic black lining, and then the red mesh you see in the pics, which keep the tools pretty quiet. The socket-rails rattle against each other just a little bit, and I still might cut 1" strips of the black liner to sandwich between the rails.

But the drawers themselves would rattle like hell if you relied on the stock mechanism to hold em shut.

I made up the bar to hold em tight out of 1x1/4" flatstock. It drops into a small slot at the bottom of the cabinet, and secures with a pin at the top. There's enough tension in it to hold the drawers good-n-tight, and good-n-quiet.

As a bonus, I can replace the 1/4" pin with a small padlock for when I go doorless.

But thanks again!

Robert

I like what you've done. My design idea was similar when I started but I chose to go with a large plastic cargo box such as is found in trucks. I dropped all of my odd shape spares and tools in it like shovel, bead breaker, spare driveshaft, come-along, rope, air hose, etc. Everything that was long or not conducive to being stored in a tool bag. The box is sitting on a platform where the rear seat used to be and serves a similar purpose to yours in keeping weight low and in one place.

All of the tools and small spares went into bags to keep them well separated and quiet on the floor in the rear passenger foot wells keeping the COG as low as possible. As mentioned, the potential for noise would (did) make me crazy. The benefit of bags is being able to get the size down to something closer to the actual space that is required, not leaving extra space like a fixed size box does. But this is an area of personal preference and like all things will be tweaked as time goes on.

As for your spare, try finding a YJ adjustable spare mount and bolt it to the floor. This gets rid of the tie down strap and gives you back the nooks and crannies the straps steal from you.

Nice project.

Back