• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford tech question

Jeepsloth

Gort like Jeep
Any Ford guys out there have any words of wisdom in regards to changing a timing belt on a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3?

The car crapped out on the wife yesterday and it looks like the timing belt is the culprit. I ordered a cam gear installation tool set from AEM and have found a few detailed how to's online.

I hate this car :flamemad:

Thanks

I've never worked on a Focus before but I did do a timing belt on a 95 contour 4 banger. If you have the Ztec engine its a non interference style so don't worry about any bent valves, even if the belt snapped completely.

I would replace the entire timing set while you're there, belt, tensioners, idlers and depending on where the water pump is on those you might want to replace it as well, and throw a new serpentine belt on when youre done.

A crows foot wrench can be very useful depending on the style of serpentine belt tensioer. One of the tensioners on mine used a torx head bolt to hold it on, maybe they used them on that engine as well.
I used the car jack that came with the car to hold the engine up because the engine support had to come off. pull the tire and inner fender for accses to the damper and lineing up timing marks.

This is one of those jobs that you should avoid drinking while doing, the timing is one of those things thats fairly important to how well it runs.

<sarcasm>
yeah... lets see here..
I think the FSM says
1) remove valuables from the car.
2) set fire to car
3) make it look like an accident

</sarcasm>

<sarcasm>
yeah... lets see here..
I think the FSM says
1) remove valuables from the car.
2) set fire to car
3) make it look like an accident

</sarcasm>

Haha! I think it also says run fast and buy something else! :D

:rolleyes:

Many cars need the timing belt replaced every 60k miles, it's like changing the filters. Before you blame the car.......how many miles are on it?

I think a lot of newer cars, thankfully, are going back to timing chains, but noise and vibration are such a big thing and belts are quieter.

Any Ford guys out there have any words of wisdom in regards to changing a timing belt on a 2001 Ford Focus ZX3?

The car crapped out on the wife yesterday and it looks like the timing belt is the culprit. I ordered a cam gear installation tool set from AEM and have found a few detailed how to's online.

I hate this car :flamemad:

Thanks

i feel your pain, my gf has an 00 brocus zx3...this site has helped on random things here and there. heres the link http://www.focushacks.com/index.php

heres a more specific link, hope it helps. http://www.focushacks.com/index.php?modid=17

Thanks for the replies!
I've got nothing against Fords, it just this one in particular. Since we've owned it there has been one problem after another.

passenger auto window regulator
drivers side door latch and auto lock
idle air controller (x2)
hatch switch
alternator
battery cables (see alternator)
reverse switch mounted to transaxle
ring and pinion broken
passenger side window switch
drivers side window switch
coolant cross over tube thingy behind the radiator
dipstick

There's more just can't think of them now.
I'm having a local import performance shop do the work because I'm out of town. Their price is reasonable so the pain isn't bad.

alternator

i feel your pain^^^^^ same deal here, the little plastic coolant hose thing right? if so just replaced that, the driver door sometimes wont open from the outside. supposedly you just lube it a bit from the inside. t-stat housing cracked as well.

Thanks for the replies!
I've got nothing against Fords, it just this one in particular. Since we've owned it there has been one problem after another.

passenger auto window regulator
idle air controller (x2)
hatch switch
alternator
battery cables (see alternator)
reverse switch mounted to transaxle
ring and pinion broken
passenger side window switch
drivers side window switch
dipstick

There's more just can't think of them now.
I'm having a local import performance shop do the work because I'm out of town. Their price is reasonable so the pain isn't bad.

alternator

i feel your pain^^^^^ same deal here, the little plastic coolant hose thing right? if so just replaced that, the driver door sometimes wont open from the outside. supposedly you just lube it a bit from the inside. t-stat housing cracked as well.

its a ford thing...
Parts that shouldn't wear out... do...

Dipstick? really? your dip stick broke and you have not concluded that FORD SUCKS At making cars yet?

Sorry, I have a long standing hatred of all ford products... I had to work on them when I was younger...

I have a 2000 LX that died in the one snowstorm we had out here. I was 1/4 mile from the house when it died. That was early December and it's still dead. Why? Because I hate it. It's a great, fun little car while it's running right, but when something goes wrong, it's never an easy fix. The miracle of FWD packaging, isn't.

Mine got a new alternator a year ago.
The driver's seat recline handle stripped and quit reclining. So I unscrewed the handle and used a pair of pliers to adjust, the adjuster then broke. You can still grab what's left with a pair of Vice grips to adjust though. CD player quit working, gives me an error now.
Can't use the highest setting on the A/C heater fan. 1, 2, and 3 are all fine, 4 requires fiddlage to get it to work and stay on.

What symptoms did it have before dying? Maybe it's the same problem as mine. The engine died and when it restarted (after pushing it through the snow to within 100 feet of my house), it had no power, couldn't give it gas or it would die, but would idle in gear into the yard. I replaced the fuel filter, it got a little better, I could coax it up to 15, but then it would sputter real bad, no matter what gear I was in. My brither in law took it over to his place to check on it and thinks the computer is stuck in limp home mode. A friend with a shop picked it up and were told by the Ford dealer (over the phone consultation) that it's either a plugged cat or a bad valve. They can't figure it out any further than that as now it won't even idle over to the exhaust shop to check. So, we're getting it back, and if we can't figure it out, I'm just going to sell it cheap. If we do, I'm still selling. I've got a little 85 Nissan truck that needs some lovin...

Back