• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 9"

Back to the subject at hand, I'm kinda torn now. I can get a D60 for about 100.00 more. I'm not sure the added weight is worth the strength. Opinions? I plan on running 37's offroad and 38" AT's onroad. Oh yeah, did I mention this is going to be my DD for about a year before I can afford a new vehicle? Probably be doing some sort of reduction before its all over with and maybe a few years from now a SBC. I know 9's are tough and I've found one w/ factory 31 spline. I imagine that the 60 I've found is 30 spline, thats what most of them came with. Other ques. is which one will have better clearance. Figure I'll end up shaving either one I get.

Hopefully I'll have me a 9" to staart cleaning up by this weekend.

I found an F-150 rear that is only 61" WMS.

For discs, wich will come much later for me ;), I found the cheapest and easiest is to use 1/2 ton Chevy front calipers with CJ-7 rotors. But like has been said, no e-brake. But getting them in for roughly $100 shouldn't be a problem. Caddiliac rear calipers have a built in e-brake, but are pricy. I would pick up a pair from the junkyard, then either rebuild them, or use the junkers to cover the core on some re-mfgd. I think I priced it that way at just over $100 for just the calipers. Then use the same CJ-7 rotors and bracket, etc.

Also, I came across a 9 3/8" rear. It looks just like a 9", but parts from either third won't interchanage. Although you can bolt a 9" third to a 9 3/8" housing, and visa-versa with a notch for the slightly larger ring gear. The 9 3/8 should all have 31 splines with larger bearings, but I haven't found anyone that sells gears, TAD's, and all the other little parts. They will be cast with C8-AW on the pinion support, 9"ers will have C1-AW thru C7-AW, IIRC C4 and up should have greater nodular iron content than the C1-C3 cases. Supposedly the 9 3/8" comes only under Lincoln and Merc big cars, can't find anything more than speculation on that though.

Would it be possible to redril the flanges and drums for 5 on 4.5"? If so, anyone know about howe much that would cost? I'd do it if it's cheaper than running an adaptor for the spare and different bolt patterns front to rear.

I allways thought that the 28 and 31 spline shafts both came in the 9", just depended on what size motor was infront of it. Am i wrong, where they accualy two different axles?

The nines can be found with both the 28 and 31 spline axles. The 28's were in most cars and early Broncos and were narrower. The 31's came in full width out the the F series/Bronco.

Didn't the 9" also come in Vans that were 31 spline but narower than the truck ones?

I think ARB just came out with a airlocker for a 33 spline 9"

Vug said:
The nines can be found with both the 28 and 31 spline axles. The 28's were in most cars and early Broncos and were narrower. The 31's came in full width out the the F series/Bronco.
Yeah, the 9 3?8" I was talking about is just a different third. The axle housing is the same as any other later style (non banjo) 9". I assume the shafts are the same diameter as a standard 31 spline 9", but not actually sure. It looks just like a 31 spline 9", but a different third which has no aftermarket support I can find. Just make sure you get a real 9", or are happy with a 9 3/8 as is.

9" comes in 28 spline, and 31 spline from the factory, and two different size bearings from the factory.

I anyone is interested, I'll sell them for 150.00 each. I'm not sure how many are 28 and 31 spline but I have 65" and 62" WMS versions. The guy went up on price but thier still a pretty good deal.

Back