• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford 8.8 swap questions

RabidRabit

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched the forums but haven't found anything that answers my question. I'm rebuilding an 8.8 for my XJ and would like to relocate my rear shock mounts to get them from underneath my axles. Can I just mount them on top of my axle next to the spring perches? Or a better question would be is this a good idea? Pros & Cons of this idea would be appreciated.
If I do this will they still mount to the OEM upper shock mounts?
Also the threads I've read don't say much about using my OEM master cylnder for the 8.8. Can I do this and is it a good idea or what should I swap in for the best working fit?

Don't mount them on top of the axle tubes. I used grade 8 bolts, welded them to the side, dead center at 3 and 9 o'clock on the tube as close as possible to the old angles. Keep it simple, don't make it harder than it needs to be.

I used my existing master cylinder...I did pull out the o-ring in the proportioning valve and I can stop on a dime.

If you raise your shock mounts to the top of the tube your shocks will be too short and bottom out. Depending on how much lift you have you are kinda limited to how high you can raise them because the shorter the shocks you put in the less travel you will have. I learned this the hard way and had to move them down some. Mine are just even with bottom of the tube. You should measure your shocks extended and compressed length first to see how high you can go with out getting into trouble, you want AT LEAST 3 OR 4" of up travel to account for potholes and stuff.

If you raise your shock mounts to the top of the tube your shocks will be too short and bottom out. Depending on how much lift you have you are kinda limited to how high you can raise them because the shorter the shocks you put in the less travel you will have. I learned this the hard way and had to move them down some. Mine are just even with bottom of the tube. You should measure your shocks extended and compressed length first to see how high you can go with out getting into trouble, you want AT LEAST 3 OR 4" of up travel to account for potholes and stuff.

I put them at the center of the tube and then latter lowered them to the bottom to recover necessary shock travel and not bottom out. JKS makes a good shock mount for this but they are pricey, $64. You can make the same thing from one leaf spring mount, cut it in half and add a bolt for the shock.

this is a picture of the JKS shock mount.
new-shock-mnt.jpg

wont it work this way as for example you get a 3" lift shocks and mount it on the 6" lifted XJ but on TOP of the axle so should be fine than has to get a shocks for 6" lift which go ALL way down to the bottom of the axle??

If you mount them on top of the axle tube and you don't have alot of lift you will be giving up some travel. I would suggest using some mounts like the one pictured and mount them around the middle of the tube. The only real reason for mounting them up higher is so they don't hang up on obstacles right? If that's the case they only need to be part way up the tube to clear.

It is going to be really hard to get a shock short enough to work properly with the shock mount on top of the tube. I recently installed a 8.8 under a friend of mines YJ and have the bottom of the shocks flush with the bottom of the axle tube and I'm still looking for a shock of the right length to allow proper suspension travel though on a YJ with 6" of lift it is not much.
Ruffstuff parts all the way cannot beat the price on shipping and every thing is pure beef.

Back