• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

for guys who have removed rear sway bar.

Take it off.

First XJ: 2001 Sport, rear swaybar connected. Got bored one night and took it off. Noticed no difference in on-road handling whatsoever, but rear articulation was *vastly* improved off-road.

Second (and current!) XJ: 2000 Limited with the Up-Country package. No swaybar from the factory; also came with the tow package. As good to drive as the 2000. No noticeable difference when towing a 3000lbs. car on a flat trailer.

In short, removing the rear swaybar is probably the best zero-dollar mod you can do to your XJ - at least in my experience. YMMV.

I took mine off and personally I hate it. If I was a cop I would pull me over for being drunk my rear end sways a lot Phx has deep ruts at most of its intersections and thats when it happens most. But I leave it off becuse Id rather get the articulation then straight driving.

i took mine off and all i get is more flex outta the rear when im wheeling. on the street its still the same as it was b4 i took it off.

:D
Timmy

fubar XJ said:
When installing lift leaf packs, they're stiffer than the old stock ones, which reduces sway by comparison. I don't know of anyone who's replaced their rear leaf packs with lifted ones and kept the rear sway bar. I chucked mine, and it drives and handles fine.
When I first lifted my 89 I keep it on, and then later took it off. I didnt notice a difference on the road, but flex obviously improved.

On my '99 I have kept it, but Im thinking about removing it to try and get the rear to ride better. The back end is way to stiff, and Im hoping that the sway bar might have something to do with it.

DUMP IT, really how much can that small diameter bar do, christ i can bend it with my own strength i took my front and rear off its not insanely bad just dont take conners at 90 lol

Took both off, lifted it, put the front back on with discos. I only notice anything from the back when hitting speedbumps or drainage ruts in parking lots at an angle.

took mine off and the ride quality improved in day to day driving no more of that annoying side to side pitching on poor city streets, slightly more body roll on tight corners but great off road

Ewen

Back