• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fluid coolers for hydro steering

1-tonxj

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Obviously there is no question about whaf is available as there are plenty of fluid cooler choices , but what I'm curious about is what fits well in the xj engine bay and atleast makes an attempt at keeping the return flow above the resevoir...I was going to do one big cooler like a b and m stacked plate or a big derale heat sink ...but it looks like a set ...pair...of 12 inch or 10 inch derale heat sinks may package better in that limited space ?

The stacked plate style coolers aren't recommend for PS coolers, they can cause cavitation and such. Just use a regular tube and fin setup, hell it doesn't even have to be overly large. I have a simple like 6x6 or 8x8 one mounted in front of my radiator, keeps the fluid cool. I think more so that the remote resi basically doubled the fluid capacity in the system helps more

The stacked plate style coolers aren't recommend for PS coolers, they can cause cavitation and such. Just use a regular tube and fin setup, hell it doesn't even have to be overly large. I have a simple like 6x6 or 8x8 one mounted in front of my radiator, keeps the fluid cool. I think more so that the remote resi basically doubled the fluid capacity in the system helps more

Lol...well I am running my stock pump with stock attached resi so was hoping to get extra capacity from the coolers...I do have the psc remote resi and if fluid capacity is an issue I will either grab a pump from a 4cyl xj or just buy the pump from psc the pump is the only non psc item in my system .

I ran the stock pump/resi with the cooler/assist/box while I was waiting to get a fitting to get the new pump and resi in. It worked, but after a little bit the fluid would get hot and it would start complaining. As soon as I swapped in the new stuff, fluid capacity doubled and its been great ever since

Really makes me wonder....mine has been running great for a couple years with no cooler. I think I may have to hit it with a temp gun on the trail and see how hot it's getting.

Really makes me wonder....mine has been running great for a couple years with no cooler. I think I may have to hit it with a temp gun on the trail and see how hot it's getting.

I ran my assist for years with no cooler but pump was not modified for extra pressure my understanding is the higher perfirnance pump ir modded need the extra cooling ...my last trip in 2014 did turn the fluid brown...the pump will now be modified running a de psc 2.5 cylinder turning 44tsl ...so it will be working harder than on 40s with assist.

a cooler is highly recommended for assist systems.

I run a mid 2000's F250 OEM power steering cooler. has fittings that are pretty much -8 AN

It has worked well, fits in between the Grill and the Radiator on the E-fan side (my trans cooler is on the mechanical side)

a cooler will always benefit anyone that stresses their steering.

Back