• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flowmaster 50 series DF/2000 Cherokee

Dad pointed out that he wondered what the difference in the outlet position on these mufflers in relation to the outlet on the stock mufflers. How is the interior noise on the 50 SUV compaired to stock btw?

Interior now this was on a V-6 SOHC 4.0 explorer was a LITTLE bit loud between 1500-2500 but thats only because the engine was quiet. There was no interior drone and I did remove the resonator. It had a deep growl at idle and on the interstate normal conversation was in no way interupted. Might I add you can purchase said muffler for about 80 bucks... thats a deal for a flowie. I had 2.25 pipes Y in and single out 2.5 back out and a 3 in tip that added just a tad of flavor in the tone. People, friends my own father all said that sounds like a v-8 beacuse I hate those loud ricey 6 cyl mufflers, no offense they just sound bad imo....

I just had a Flowmaster 40 put on my 90' today and it sounds great and not really that loud. The wife road down the highway at 70 with me and there was no problems talking to her or the kids in the back seat. The Idle sounds throaty just the way it should.

The engine in this XJ has been bored, milled, and decked and everything under the hood is new. It doesn't run any better with the new exhaust but it does sound better than the termite infested exhaust that was on there.

xjtrailrider said:
I just had a Flowmaster 40 put on my 90' today and it sounds great and not really that loud. The wife road down the highway at 70 with me and there was no problems talking to her or the kids in the back seat. The Idle sounds throaty just the way it should.

The engine in this XJ has been bored, milled, and decked and everything under the hood is new. It doesn't run any better with the new exhaust but it does sound better than the termite infested exhaust that was on there.
Ahhhhh!! Just what i wanted to hear.

I have a delta 40 on my 4.7 stroker. It does sound very ricey to me.

I would love to hear sound clips from some of your exhaust systems and compare to mine.

I have the follow exhaust:

APN header with 3" welded flange
3" exhaust down pipe and back to the muffler
2.5" pipe just before muffler and 2.5 out the tail
2.5 flowmaster delta 40 in and out.

Ricey as can be. Loud as hell. A 2k rpm pop in my driveway echos the neighborhood. Notice someone killed the cat before I got there.

I have a Borla system on my 87, form about 10-15 feet away, idle noise is minimal, the thing you have to watch for is the acceleration noise....

That tends to ramp up the volume a bit inside the cab....

My wife took the XJ this morning (run to the store) and from 20 feet the accleration noise was pretty quiet. If you are inside a building, the noise is neglegable......

Back