• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flatbed Trailer

Camping350

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking for a flatbed trailer. Tell me what you like or dislike about the one you have and of course cost I'm broke after getting the XJ up to par. So I can't afford the pj powder coated. Where is the best price at? Seams like Carson, Aztec, Big Tex then PJ with Carson being the lowest cost?

No issue or complaints with my Carson, brakes on both axles for the win.

Tows nice, no different than an Aztec I used to borrow all the time.

There's a local builder here in east county that makes nice trailers. I've got one of his 18ft ones. I can put a quad+ jeep on it, and it was $2k out the door brand new. Fully boxed frame rails, not c-channel. When I went looking for a trailer, they were going for about 1500 used.

Make sure to get longer than you think you need. 16ft would be the shortest I'd get for a jeep, and if I did it again, I'd go 20 feet.

Mark

There's a local builder here in east county that makes nice trailers. I've got one of his 18ft ones. I can put a quad+ jeep on it, and it was $2k out the door brand new. Fully boxed frame rails, not c-channel. When I went looking for a trailer, they were going for about 1500 used.

Make sure to get longer than you think you need. 16ft would be the shortest I'd get for a jeep, and if I did it again, I'd go 20 feet.

Mark

I was thinking 16 is minimum for XJ. What is the name of he Manufacture?

I bought a Aztec in '04. Its a 18ft with the 6" wider bed option and only brakes on one axle. I paid 1600$ out the door at that time. I have used it every year since, typically about 3-5 times a year min. I have only replaced the brakes once, and a few lights, from hitting them on dirt mounds while going over larger then it should have terrain.

I have towed it with a 4-5K lbs vehicle on it, with a Toy Seq, a Ford F150, a Excursion, and now my F350. Every rig has handled it just fine without issue. I did loose a tire once and ripped off about 1/4 of one fender, but just cut that portion off nice and straight and left it as is. My wife typically tows it with her Toyota Sequoia, with my jeep on the trailer, everywhere we go since I toy our larger travel trailer with my f350. She Never complains about the stopping, the sway etc. And she HATES to tow typically.

I would look at a Aztec and see what they cost these days. just my .02

I've had three Carson's now and have had good luck with all of them. The only complaint I've had is their paint is crap. I've had to repaint them all within a year due to rust issues.

My recommendation with any trailer manufacturer is that you need to be very specific about what you want and how you want it built. They will build you what ever you want. The biggest thing I would recommend is a mod up front. On most trailers the tongue of the trailer only extends into the trailer frame a few feet, this does not provide enough support for vehicles, it's fine for quads on M/C's but vehicles put more stress on the tongue and forward part of the frame going down the road. I would also get a 4' long tongue rather than the standard 3' unless you have storage issues the longer tongue is nice.

Carson or AzTex will build you anything you want, pay the money and have it done right in most cases you will probably have your trailer longer than your rig.

For price reference only: My current trailer is a 24' deck by 102" wide built with a full length frame, 4' tongue that is welded all the way back to the front of the axles with ramp gate with brakes on both 6000# axles. It was $5200 in 2008.

Back