• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flat towing or tow dolly a JK with built XJ

Rob Patterson

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a 2nd 4x4. I would like it to be an XJ but it needs to be able to tow a 5000lb 2 door JK on long trips over the mountains of Colorado.

The parts I have now:
Dana 60 front and rear axles with disc brakes, gears TBD
Atlas II transfer case
Currently have AX15 but I'm working on getting NV4500.

If I can use an XJ, I would get a GM based V8 TBD
I would also add unibody bracing.
I will be running 37" Hummer wheels and tires 8 lug.

I don't know what is better for towing, tow dolly or flat towing.

Thanks,
Rob

Thats a heck of a load for a vehicle of roughly equal size. Especially pulling over I70. If you plan on running that tall and heavy of a tire, you better throw a healthy engine in there and gear her real low and dont plan on getting anywhere fast or cheaply. Stopping will be your following problem. thats allot of weight for a short wheel base vehicle. i would put the nv4500 in there. Although i suggest at minimum a half ton pickup or SUV for that kind of towing. i would suggest flat towing with a tow bar if you must pull it behind the cherokee.

Thats a heck of a load for a vehicle of roughly equal size. Especially pulling over I70. If you plan on running that tall and heavy of a tire, you better throw a healthy engine in there and gear her real low and dont plan on getting anywhere fast or cheaply. Stopping will be your following problem. thats allot of weight for a short wheel base vehicle. i would put the nv4500 in there. Although i suggest at minimum a half ton pickup or SUV for that kind of towing. i would suggest flat towing with a tow bar if you must pull it behind the cherokee.

Thanks, I was kinda thinking the same thing, but I have no experience towing. I decided to buy a 1999 Dodge Durango today with the 5.9. I'm currently hunting for a Dodge NV4500. I'm hoping 4.88 gears will work well with 37s, or should I consider 5.13s since I will be towing up I70? Either set of axle gears will put me at over 100 to 1 in 4 low with a 5.61 1st gear and 4.3 low in the Atlas.

Very bad idea to yow that much with a xj or a Durango, especially I'm the mountains. Either get a 3/4 ton truck or don't tow.

Re: Re: Flat towing or tow dolly a JK with built XJ

Very bad idea to yow that much with a xj or a Durango, especially I'm the mountains. Either get a 3/4 ton truck or don't tow.

Well I already have a Durango, it should be better than towing with an xj. The Durango GCWR is 10,500 or 12,200 depending on gearing. I know I'm lifting it but I'm also adding Dana 60 axles, NV4500, Atlas transfer case. Everthing I'm adding is stronger than stock.

Again, If you must tow with the Durango, spend the money to get your brakes up to par. Slotted rotors, EBC pads, complete brake system flush. I would suggest a trailer if possible to utilize trailer brakes. Still right on the edge for a Durango. 4.88 gears will be fine, you just wont win any speed records climbing loveland pass. I highly suggest a half ton truck at minimum. the 4500 will help being able to manually row gears

Well I already have a Durango, it should be better than towing with an xj. The Durango GCWR is 10,500 or 12,200 depending on gearing. I know I'm lifting it but I'm also adding Dana 60 axles, NV4500, Atlas transfer case. Everthing I'm adding is stronger than stock.
you still have a short wheelbase and it will still be lighter then the jk, with no brakes on the jk, and Dodges arnt known for great trans

I can't see how a 2 door jk is heavier than a Durango. Jeep list the wrangler curb weight between 3700-4300 pounds while the 5.9 Durango is 4600 pounds and that doesn't include what I will add to the Durango: rocker guards, winch, front and rear bumpers, Dana 60, skids, etc. I don't have to worry about the 46re because I'm swapping a NV4500.

I may look into a car dolly with electric brakes. The Durango has a tow capacity of 7300 pounds. So I think I can make a safe tow vehicle. I agree that the 5.9 magnum doesn't compare to the Cummins but it sure has to be better than the XJ 4.0 and the Jeep 4.7 v8. It may not be the fastest but I'm sure it will get the job done. I think the front brakes on the Dana 60 will be sufficient. I'm also adding disc brakes to the rear Dana 60.

Well, considering that the MOPAR 4.7 V8 was used in the later models of Dakota/Durango, Ram and some Jeep models vs 5.2/5.9. It has more power, and more fuel efficient. The "Magnum 5.9" already gets terrible fuel mileage in stock form. Towing you will be lucky to get 8-9 mpg TOPS. You could get an older Ford 250/350 with a 460 gasser and get the same mpg or BETTER unloaded/loaded.

So, if I read your posts correctly, you bought a 1/4 ton vehicle that is not fit to tow what you want in stock form instead of buying a vehicle that fits your towing needs? And, are paying MORE money/spending time, to attempt to equip it to do so?
This sounds like something I would call a "Good sounding bad idea"
Might as well have put an LSx engine/drivetrain and 1 ton axles in your XJ to tow your $40+k JK

Last edited:
Back