• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flaring brake line

One problem with cheaper flaring tools is the lack of PRECISION!. I finally figured out why I could not get a centered flare with the cheaper tools I was using--the 45deg chamfer was shallower on one of the clamping bars than the other,so when you tried to bottom out the double flare die, the tube had more room to yield on one side. I know this sounds confusing, but do this with your cheap yoke and bar sets, put the yoke on the bar without any tube, tighten the yoke as if making a single flare, if the when the cone is snug against the bars, look at the bars to see if they are still parallel to each other. if one bar ends up higher than the other than you will have a difficult time making any kind of a good flare, because the yoke is not pushing straight down on the tube.

joel

yeah, it's all in the quality of the tool.
I've use done at my fathers for a while, but couldn't get ahold of it a couple weeks ago and bought one at autozone - it sucked!
(my autozone said they didn't rent flaring tools by the way)
It took like 5 tries at each flare to get one right.

raceready said:
One problem with cheaper flaring tools is the lack of PRECISION!. I finally figured out why I could not get a centered flare with the cheaper tools I was using--the 45deg chamfer was shallower on one of the clamping bars than the other,so when you tried to bottom out the double flare die, the tube had more room to yield on one side. I know this sounds confusing, but do this with your cheap yoke and bar sets, put the yoke on the bar without any tube, tighten the yoke as if making a single flare, if the when the cone is snug against the bars, look at the bars to see if they are still parallel to each other. if one bar ends up higher than the other than you will have a difficult time making any kind of a good flare, because the yoke is not pushing straight down on the tube.

joel

You are correct.

Back