• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flares: Rusty's, Bushwackers, None, Stock, YJ/TJ?

Which flares do you like w/35's and 6" lift

• Rusty's

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Bushwacker

Votes: 69 29.9%
  • Trimmed Stock Flares

Votes: 32 13.9%
  • TJ/YJ

Votes: 57 24.7%
  • None

Votes: 55 23.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
for me, flareless sucked. Crap flying in the windows all day...

Has anyone tried these yet?

http://www.autobarn.net/pac52170.html?AID=10274001&PID=1408109

This is what interested me in them:
"Constructed from the finest quality EPDM synthetic rubber, they won't crack or peel in cold weather or droop in high temperatures. The exclusive built-in curvature allows the flare to fit the fenderwall without wrinkles or buckling."

So far its looking like my choice, but I can't find anyone who has used them yet for an opinion on them.

Go with none, if you wheel hard you won't have any anyhow, and you won't have any of those pesky holes in your fenders.

815gxj38-med.jpg

815gxj2-med.jpg

815gxj1-med.jpg

IntrepidXJ said:
well, mines not necessarily a daily driver (though i do like to drive it often)

On the street it wasn't bad, it was on the trail on tougher obstacles, just because we don't have just rock here..it's always a combo or rock and loos pebbles, or rock and loose mud or...you get the idea.

Everyone has their own groove.

RJ

Ok guys. I'm in the market for fitting bigger meats also. I want to run 33's with my 3" lift. Will the TJ flares provide enough room without the need to add taller bumpstops?

Ok guys. I'm in the market for fitting bigger meats also. I want to run 33's with my 3" lift. Will the TJ flares provide enough room without the need to add taller bumpstops?

yes it will work nicely.

I like no flares, but it can be illegal in some states, not mine :D

poppabear said:
yes it will work nicely.

depending on the offset of your wheels, how wide your tires are, how much flex you're getting, the type of wheeling you do. I ran 33x10.5's with 4.5", cut to the nuts and they rubbed, went to 6" with the same tires and it worked much better. My wifes XJ has 5.5" of lift, 32x11.5's and it rubs when I drive through my shallow ditch at an angle, but it works well for her cuz it's a dd only.

every jeep is different, every set up is different. best you can do is try and see.

I think I'm going to hack some sheet metal, put on the TJ flares then borrow some 33x12.50 swampers from a budy and play with it. I'm guessing I'm going to have to add some 2" bumpstops to make it work.

Thanks for the input.

Choad.

Bushwacker flares are alot of work

I run the bushwacker flares and really like them. my only complaint would have to be the amount of labor required to install them.

question reguarding flareless

for those of you running flareless, what did you do to protect the tire from the raw cut edge of the fender? options that i have considered are cutting tabs and folding them in and splitting some fuel line and wrapping it around the cut edge (it seems that if you filled the hose with slilcone first you would get a stick that would last for years).

has anyone done anything different that has worked? opinions on the fuel line idea?

jallen said:
for those of you running flareless, what did you do to protect the tire from the raw cut edge of the fender? options that i have considered are cutting tabs and folding them in and splitting some fuel line and wrapping it around the cut edge (it seems that if you filled the hose with slilcone first you would get a stick that would last for years).

has anyone done anything different that has worked? opinions on the fuel line idea?

I have black door edge guard on my front fenders, looks pretty good and works well too. For the rear, I ended up with a pretty harmless edge just by cutting tabs, folding them in, and painting.

Pat

In the back, I cut up the sheetmetal to where the fenderwell met the body at the pinch seam. I then folded those tabs in and hammered really hard to get them to conform to the interior of the fenderwell.
up front, I hammered the pinch seam to fold it against the inner fender, and put self adhering strips of plastic over the raw sheetmetal (the kind that go on the edge of doors, 5.99 at pepboys) I will, however, be putting in bumpstops that prevent significant contact of the fender edges by the tires.

i had bushwackers on my old cherokee, they were great but for me, not worth the $300 i paid for them. really easy install; just mark, cut, drill, and mount. yeah it wasnt THAT simple, but i did it in a day, and im not bob villa (or his automotive counterpart).

if the money isnt an issue, i say bushwackers, but i dont think i will ever buy them again unless i get some rediculous deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back