• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fixing a ghettofab leafed XJ...

She's about to be put up on jack stands so I can sell the wheels and tires and scrap everything underneath it and start over. I'm not necessarily good at Fab but I can put together stock parts no problem. Unfortunately the process has been put on the back burner after a nasty ticket I just got. After that's paid off this will turn into a build thread...

Edit: I realized I said I was going to part it out or sell it. I actually did sell it. Then the guy got F****d up on his 4wheeler and gave me my jeep back so he could pay for the hospital bills.:doh:

Last edited:
She's about to be put up on jack stands so I can sell the wheels and tires and scrap everything underneath it and start over. I'm not necessarily good at Fab but I can put together stock parts no problem. Unfortunately the process has been put on the back burner after a nasty ticket I just got. After that's paid off this will turn into a build thread...

Edit: I realized I said I was going to part it out or sell it. I actually did sell it. Then the guy got F****d up on his 4wheeler and gave me my jeep back so he could pay for the hospital bills.:doh:

So you said sure heres your money back?

I guess I could have kept my jeep and 1300.. But I don't do people like that. I was waiting for him to pick it up and he never did so I gave him his money.

Since I last came on I ordered 4 control arms, new steering linkages, shocks, stabilizer and power steering.

I have a couple questions.

Will CA drop bracket like this: http://http://www.rocky-road.com/xjcad.html

stock control arms, and 4.5 inch lift springs like these http://http://www.quadratec.com/products/16189_8111.htm

work together? I am most likely going to have to torch off the lca pieces on there right now. They are completely stuck in the mounts.

edit: I also junked the d30 and am looking for another as we speak.

Last edited:
I would say that is based on personal preference not on performance. At the same, leaf springs perform very well and require less engineering.
Done both types of conversions coil & leaf. Converted from 2x4 to 4x4 from 4x4 leaf to coil & back. Done it from full size vans & trucks to golf carts. Yes it's personal at times and no it's not always. The vehicle frame width, length (kept in a stock configuration is your limit). I've converted 1/2 coil sprung 66 Chevy to leaf front and rear for mud and I've done 2x4 van retaining front coils to a 5 link for ride comfort of the coils. Yes most coil set ups ride smoother on and off road but leafs in todays world can be set up just as smooth. I'm still trying to figure out how to do a single leaf set up on 1 axle like the Corvettes.

Yes, you can run stock arms with drop brackets though I'd recommend at least going to WJ arms for added strength and tire scrub clearance.

Done both types of conversions coil & leaf. Converted from 2x4 to 4x4 from 4x4 leaf to coil & back. Done it from full size vans & trucks to golf carts. Yes it's personal at times and no it's not always. The vehicle frame width, length (kept in a stock configuration is your limit). I've converted 1/2 coil sprung 66 Chevy to leaf front and rear for mud and I've done 2x4 van retaining front coils to a 5 link for ride comfort of the coils. Yes most coil set ups ride smoother on and off road but leafs in todays world can be set up just as smooth. I'm still trying to figure out how to do a single leaf set up on 1 axle like the Corvettes.
my buick regal had the transposed leaf spring, rode pretty decent and handled ok.

Yes, you can run stock arms with drop brackets though I'd recommend at least going to WJ arms for added strength and tire scrub clearance.

I already bought xj control arms... They're beefier than the old ones though. Also being in central FL all this jeep is gonna see is some mud so I'm not too worried about a little rubbing. :laugh3:

Edit: Without starting another thread, any tips for getting the old control arms out? The bolts are stuck. On the lowers so far I've cut the head and threads off each end of one and destroyed the (caster bracket?)I cannot get these out... Uca's are bad too. Tips/tricks?

Last edited:
Also, I would go somewhere other than Rocky Road. If you have any problems with install, his first and only tack will be to blame you because his parts are perfect. Customer service sucks.

Look to Rough Country or Rubicon Express for your drop brackets.

Yes I'm going to go with the RCX drop kit. I found it right after finding the other one I posted a link to.

No sorry I do not have time to take pics and upload them. There will be pics eventually. Too much working, finals and rebuilding to do right now.

So the technical term for the part I need is the "alignment shoe," where can I get these? I've searched and searched. :soapbox:

Drop brackets will have you drop your uppers too.....it'll make more sense once you start putting them together.

Just loosen the two bolts on the back of the alignment shoe, and they shoould fall right out. If the bolts are stuck, just snap em!

Just loosen the two bolts on the back of the alignment shoe, and they shoould fall right out. If the bolts are stuck, just snap em!

Yeah I was wondering if lowering the LCA's and changing the angles would bind with the UCA's. In that case, for now, I'm going to go with some tbird coils up front and just get some more alignment shoes and throw the control arms in stock position. This should give me about 3.5 inches of lift up front according to the research I've done.

The lowers get moved at the same time, not sure I understand your issue?

My question was, in order to lower the LCA's, for it to work correctly do I need to lower the UCA's aswell?

DeftwillP's post makes me think yes.

Sorry for all the q's I'm trying not to sound like too much of a newb.

Back