• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First time build, Sorry for questions

For ease of purchasing I think I will go with this kit, Old Man Emu Hybrid 3.5 lift kit. Is there anything else that I would need for this? I'm going for as much ride quality as possible as well as much off road aggressiveness I can get without trimming, I have decided to stick with 31's. Does anyone think that if I piece out that kit I can get it slightly cheaper? Can someone help me put it on when I get my XJ and that lift with tires? I'll provide money, and if needed beer, I'm probably younger than most people on this forum being 22. The BDS kit is roughly the same price when you add on the super glide leaf springs.

You might need control arms. Not a necessity, but adjustable ones will help with alignment. I am getting that same kit or maybe the 2.5" one haven't decided yet. I am also going to get adjustable control arms when I do it because my bushings are shot on mine and I only want to take them off once. I will be replacing the upper bushings on the axle side as well.

It would be hard to find all those parts for cheaper than that kit. Except for control arms, which I already mentioned, that is a very complete kit with high quality parts.

I am on my second XJ and the first one I built using lower quality parts and take my word for it, it is better to save your money and do it right the first time over a longer period of time.

For ease of purchasing I think I will go with this kit, Old Man Emu Hybrid 3.5 lift kit. Is there anything else that I would need for this? I'm going for as much ride quality as possible as well as much off road aggressiveness I can get without trimming, I have decided to stick with 31's. Does anyone think that if I piece out that kit I can get it slightly cheaper? Can someone help me put it on when I get my XJ and that lift with tires? I'll provide money, and if needed beer, I'm probably younger than most people on this forum being 22. The BDS kit is roughly the same price when you add on the super glide leaf springs.

I approve of your lift choice. You WILL love it!

Also, trimming is really no big deal. Many guys cut just enough that they can still run flares, you may need to do minor trimming on 31's depending in your wheel/tire combo.

Last edited:
What should I look for in aftermarket rims for a 31?

A 15x7 or 8 with 4-4.5 back spacing should get you in the ballpark with minimal rubbing if any.

Is there a limit to what weight limit I can get? I like the look of some of the aluminum wheels, but I don't know if they would hold up well off roading.

Can someone help me put it on when I get my XJ and that lift with tires? I'll provide money, and if needed beer, I'm probably younger than most people on this forum being 22. The BDS kit is roughly the same price when you add on the super glide leaf springs.

Yep, I'm sure that we can help out. When you get all your bits and pieces (and a Jeep), post up in the SEC forum that you want to set up a wrenchfest and open the invitation. I'd guess you'll get people to show up

You might need control arms. Not a necessity, but adjustable ones will help with alignment. I
I'd check around on the for sale threads in each of the chapters and see if anyone had any that they are selling on the cheap. I'd say try to track some down. My kit came with fixed aftermarket lowers. As I got taller I just bought drop brackets and it works great. Mine aren't adjustable, but yeah, if you can find adjustable, all the better.

Does anyone think I should get brake lines for front and rear?
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread to pull some junkyard lines - Dakota rear and Chevy/GMC truck fronts. That would be just fine and fairly cheap.

Back