• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

first snowy road driving with "lincoln" locker

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have to say, I was a little worried to drive in the snow with the rear welded, but I have to say, I WAS VERY IMPRESSED!!! It is a very fine powder snow, real slippery and I had zero problems. I didn't even slide around enough that I needed to use 4 wheel. Now, granted, there isn't piles of snow on the roads, but sometimes the roads are more slippery with an inch or two. I just wanted to share my experience, I know this is a pretty hot topic sometimes.

My god man are you crazy. Driving in the snow with welded rear you will DIE!!! :laugh:
Its funny how your scared as hell to do it the first time and then your like dude I should have done this the 2nd day I had the jeep.
Lets hear it for the welded crew party1:
DIG IT!

Actually, reading your posts about welding is what finally made my decision to try the welded route. It has been welded for a couple of weeks now, and I am really glad I gave it a try, no regrets. Granted, it's not my daily driver, but I drive it a couple days a week. I actually am trying the welded route cuz I have the "trash" lock carrier so my options were limited. Also, I will be regearing in the near future, and I wanted to experiment to see if a spool would be for me. I am pretty sure it is!

It really makes you wonder they don't weld the diffs from the factory, doesn't it? :rolleyes:

CRASH

If I lived in a city and I were going around city blocks and making fairly sharp turns on pavement, I can see where it would be less than ideal, but for the driving that I do with my jeep, locked all the time is just fine.

You still could pay me to do that one my DD. My buddy has a spool in the rear of his and he doesn't recommend it for highspeed highway use on snow ice.

I heard the horror stories about lockers on ice and snow too, so I was worried about the Lockright in the rear on mine since this is the first winter for it. However, once I drove around... the worries are gone. We have had lots of snow here so far this winter and many, many icey roads. I commute 30 miles each way on a combo of freeway and side roads and have yet to have any trouble. It takes a little different style, but it's easy to adapt to.

Weasel said:
You still could pay me to do that one my DD. My buddy has a spool in the rear of his and he doesn't recommend it for highspeed highway use on snow ice.
Would you really recommend driving anything at high speeds on snow and ice?

Phil Weeks said:
Would you really recommend driving anything at high speeds on snow and ice?

Dang you beat me too it. Weasle not bashing you but everyone has a buddies cousins sister uncle's brother that has done it and hated it.

Weasel said:

Thats a good one. for one like mentioned about nothings good at high speed highway use on snow or ice so if you wreck because of it you deserve it. I had mine welded it and loved it then i put a mini spool in because of it . I just slod my axles to my best friend and the first day he drove it with the spooled rear was when we had snow and his coments were " it was boring as hell unless you stomp on it right of the line it just goes with no hasel and no bs and real dosen handle as bad as people think" keep in mind he dosen't have a front drive shaft in since he has swaped fronts yet so he was in 2wd at the time. my new rear axle will have a 35spline spool with out a doubt and yes i drive it alot when its in one piece.
As for the front I know a few who have welded them since they had a vacume ico axle and use eithe a vacume switch or a posi lock to lock and unlock the pasenger side axle when they need to turn. they never broke the 297 joints of ales with 35 tires but then again they were only 4 bangers but they tried hard to break them. other than that weld or spool fronts suck pretty bad un less you have hydralic ram assist or full hydralice but even then its a pain in the rear at time un less you have a a TC with 2lo.

I drive 700 miles round trip about every other months during going home and back to school. During the summer, sure probably no problem. But during the winter, no fricken way. The roads from South Dakota to Montana are nasty during the winter. I don't usually use 4x4 much about 40-45 and when I'm doing 45-50 on crappy roads I can feel the back end kick around and the tires slip, catch, ect. Not enough to do anything, but if both tires were kicking loose...no thanks.

I'm not talking about LSD or anything other then a spool/welded diff. I have other reason for disliking LSDs. I know I can handle my Jeep on the highway with the open diff. By welding it or spooling it I've increased my chances that could happen due to undesirable handling. I'll keep saving for my selectables.

I like to drive a fully locked rear in the snow, its more predictable to me. It does handle differently, but I like knowing that both tires are going to be spinning instead of one on either side pulling me over. Thats just me though.

I have been driving welded daily drivers since July of last year. It totally kicks ass in the snow. The predictibility comes from knowing the rear is going to slide out if you gas it around every corner in 2wd. Not unpredictable like a one legger. I enjoy sliding around in the snow. I stopped five times going home the other week just to do a few donuts in the highway. The only "problem" I have had was with a town cop in the summer time. Here it goes. I was driving to work and turned a left hand corner with the cop behind me. The tires were chirping as usual. He pulls me over.

Cop: "Do you think that was smart what you pulled in front of me back there?"
Me: "What?"
Cop: "Peeling your tires."
Me: "Oh, the rear end is welded solid so it is like a live axle and both tires rotate at the same speed. I wasn't trying to do it, it just does it."
Cop: "This vehicle is unsafe for the road! It could swerve out of control and hit an innocent driver. If I hear it again I am going to issue you a ticket for excessive noise with tires."
Me: "OK, whatever."

He handed me a fix it ticket and I went on my way. Anyone else got pulled over because of this?

Brad

Hmm I have been going back and forth on the subject. I am thinking of welding up my D35, only because if it goes I am at no great loss since I plan to upgrade it anyways. I am running 33's though, DD with it, will it put too much stress on the axles?

I know how it will handle, driving quads for a long time, and I love the feel of a live axle, like said, you know what its going to do.

Next time tell the cop it has a factory LSD and sometimes the tires chirp before the LSD lets the tires spin at different speeds.

Thanks Fryphax! That will work! What's he gonna do, drop down under it and take the cover off to inspect? I wouldn't put it past these morons!

I would tell anyone with doubts in welding one up for a DD probably shouldn't do it. The binding, tire chirping, understeering drive on dry pavement is enough to scare most away. I always look at the gains of the work done and put up with the downfalls later on. I am pretty extreme with my vehicles though.

Brad

Back