• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firestone Dest. M/T vs BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM vs BFG All-Terrain T/A KO

I have the dayton timberline MTs, which are just a rebadged version of the Firestone Destination MTs. They do really well in the mud, a little loud on the street. Not too bad though, they are on my dd. Mine are the same size you're looking for. They are studded for winter driving, so that's something you should consider if you are concerned with ice/snow driving. mine arent studded, and i havent had them in the snow or anything yet, but so far for me, they do just fine in the rain. I think since you are looking for winter driving performance, the fact that they can be studded should be a big plus for you. dont know if anyone mentioned that yet.

Slonopotam said:
What about Firestone M/T on water, slush and ice ?
Living in Washington, I imagine, you should be getting a sufficient amount of it.
I have taken them into 18" snow with great results aired down to 15 PSI. They gripped great and got me around quite well. Ice sucks but then again unless you have studded tires ice sucks period.

i have destination somethings on my daily driver, theyre awesome, stock size, great in the snow, slush, rain, mud, everything.....

I have had both the BFG at's and mt's, if you dont see much mud and wet rocks than go with the at's. The best tire that I've had is the Trxus. The Trxus outperformes the BFG AT in all categories, and is compariable to the MT offroad. It's the very best MT on ice, and it's a whole lot cheaper than the BFG's. I would seriously consider the Trxus. In Moab, there is no difference between the BFG MT and the Trxus, and in the snow the Trxus is better than the AT.

I just bought a set of AT's and tried them in the snow recently. Great traction, the rear leafs actually wrapped up on acceleration, something that never happened on the previous cheapmart "all terrains". Wet road driving seems to have improved traction. We are 16" short rain here, so I am curious what a good downpour will do to braking. They will probably be better than the previous, which locked up frequently. Brake slides into the gas station look so stupid.
I bought the AT's because of their reputation for longevity, but I speculate that is done with a hard durometer rubber, which is less capable in the wet - therefore why the AT's may not perform as well. The KO's are supposed to use a dual compound but the Tirerack survey shows the Revo's having better wet traction. Maybe the older AT's are still skewing the curve.
Since you are buying into a new set seriously consider 16" rims as part of the deal, if possible. BFG offers twice the tire sizes in 16", now, and you can keep a shorter sidewall height and lower the unsprung weight, which will help the handling.
I would like to see the results of testing to show which tire has ulitmate traction, and why - variation in tread, compound, aspect ratio, sidewall height, rim size and width, etc. Then we can see if an inch wider tire really has more than a few percentage points of traction, or some "facts" are proven to be counter-intuitive.

TiRod said:
Since you are buying into a new set seriously consider 16" rims as part of the deal, if possible. BFG offers twice the tire sizes in 16", now, and you can keep a shorter sidewall height and lower the unsprung weight, which will help the handling.
New rims are out of question this year, it turned out I owe IRS a bit more than expected :?. I will think about getting new rims together with new 33" tires AFTER I lift to 5.5" from my current 3.5.

TiRod said:
I would like to see the results of testing to show which tire has ulitmate traction, and why - variation in tread, compound, aspect ratio, sidewall height, rim size and width, etc. Then we can see if an inch wider tire really has more than a few percentage points of traction, or some "facts" are proven to be counter-intuitive.
There is a laboratory, called "cold region something..." they performed some test on snow traction, but i do not think any tests of rubber compounds. What I liked about them, is that they used Wagoneer quite some time ago for tests.

I think I'll go with BFG AT. In the deep snow I can always put chains on the back and cables on the front. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sutifJwjcic

it turned out I owe IRS a bit more than expected :?

Yup, same here. I feel your pain.

Unless you go steel most 16 " rims are high-end tribal alloy designs. I went steel OEM.

Work yer plan. I imagine chains are more available and necessary than down here - we may have had our only snow this year.

Back