• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Firestone Dest. M/T vs BFG Mud-Terrain T/A KM vs BFG All-Terrain T/A KO

Slonopotam

NAXJA Member #1358
Hi,

I am having trouble comparing tires from different categories.
Can somebody compare the following tires based on his/her own experience:

BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO
BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM
Firestone Destination M/T

Some on-road comparison can be found here, but not to BFG all-terrain:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORMT&VT=null&sortValue=3
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&VT=null&sortValue=3

The size will be 31x10.5x15.
My first priority is to get safely to Sierras during winter time, that is driving on ice, packed snow, slush, water.
Second priority are infrequent wheeling trips - 10 miles higway for 1 mile offroad.

On one hand, All-terrain BFG are marked as snow tires and supposed to be the best for me, but some say they perform poorly on wet road. Looking at the thread pattern, it's quite possible.

If somebody can compare wet and ice behaviour of BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO and Firestone Destination M/T, your comments would be very valuable.

I am also eager to know how Firestone Destination M/T performs on ice. Does anybode drive on these tires in winter ?

I better buy something before the weekend.

Thank you,
Andrey

My 2 cents......I have 31 BFG AT's, and I like them. They still slip in the rain some, but the rain traction on the BFG MT's I had were even worse. The AT's will be better in the snow. If you're not frequently wheeling, I'd go w/ the AT's unless you're dying for the look of those lugs.

No experience w/ the Firestone's.

i know im a fanboy of BFGs, i would def go with the AT. WIth 31s your clearly doing more on road than off, and those tires last and have much better winter weather traction than the MT. Plus IMHO the AT last about twice as long as the MTs. and if you offroad it in the mud and want a second set of MTs i have a set with about 30% left that i give ya for 100$ plus shipping

I have used all 3 tires and I am now on my second set of Destinations and love them. With about 20k miles and barely any wear. I will be getting another set when these are gone.

Go with the bfg all terrains. i love my 33's and they are great in the snow and year round. best all around 4x4 tire for me and easy to replace if you damage one.good price too.

I had the Firestone Dest M/T on a previous vehicle. They wore somewhat fast and had terrible ice and wet traction. It's an MT so that is expected.

BFG MTs (on my TJ) were about the same as the firestone's but have lasted almost twice as long.

BFG ATs, I loved these tires when I had them. Great all around tire, but can be expensive.

Have you considered the Bridgestone Dueler Revos? I jus put these on the wife's cherokee and they are better in snow/ice/wet than the BFGs in my opinion and they were cheaper too.

jeepinxj01 said:
The AT's will be better in the snow as long as you stay on the road. If you're not frequently wheeling, I'd go w/ the AT's unless you're dying for the look of those lugs.

No experience w/ the Firestone's.

The BFG AT has always been a good tire for SoCal. I have always felt that I got my moneys worth for both wear and performance. The only mud we see is what we make ourselves. Snow can be a problem for them on the trail, especially if it is fresh. The ATs do well on the hard pack trails, even rocks. They do not have that look to them that the MT's will, but for moderate wheeling w/ dependable on road manners they are a good choice for this area. My son has always been a fan of the Bridgestone Duelers.

The Dueler REVO's are worth the look for your driving. I have a set on my wife's TJ (stock) as replacements for the origional Goodyear GSA's and find there ice/snow performance is greatly inhanced. I have not yet taken them of road. Just put them on before winter set in. I do not expect the mud performance of an MT, but as a daily driver I am pleased and they are rumered to be satisfactory off the hard.

My 2 cents: I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, and we drove on nothing but ice for about 5 months of the year, down to -60 degrees. I used BFG AT KO's. They were great for driving on the ice. I even drove from Washington to Alaska with them during the winter time. Many people in Alaska use the BFG AT's on their trucks/SUV/Jeep.

Toyo makes a nice looking A/T (and M/T for that matter).

Much cheaper then the BFG.

That said, I love my KMs.

javik said:
and if you offroad it in the mud and want a second set of MTs i have a set with about 30% left that i give ya for 100$ plus shipping
Thank you, but I do not have any place to keep a second set at.

GirlScout1 said:
I have used all 3 tires and I am now on my second set of Destinations and love them. With about 20k miles and barely any wear. I will be getting another set when these are gone.
What about Firestone M/T on water, slush and ice ?
Living in Washington, I imagine, you should be getting a sufficient amount of it.

ASJackman said:
My 2 cents: I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, and we drove on nothing but ice for about 5 months of the year, down to -60 degrees.
Was your gas still liquid ? :)

I think this information brings BFG AT to the top in my opinion.

ASJackman said:
My 2 cents: I lived in Fairbanks, Alaska, and we drove on nothing but ice for about 5 months of the year, down to -60 degrees. I used BFG AT KO's. They were great for driving on the ice. I even drove from Washington to Alaska with them during the winter time. Many people in Alaska use the BFG AT's on their trucks/SUV/Jeep.

Dude, do you live near the Cold Regions Testing Center? That rocks if you do? I wonder what those gys use for tires, they would def know?

i like my bfg ko at's. i'm running the 285/75r 16" , basically a 33X11.50
they do work pretty well here in so cal and stuck pretty good in moab and the rubicon. milage has been good and the seem to hold well in the rain and what snow i've been in. but if you wanna play in the mud they pack up pretty quick. i had the older duelers and they were ok but the rocks chewed them up pretty quick but they never failed.

I have the Destination MTs and love them. Not as bad on water and ice as some MTs but also not as good as an AT. The awesome traction in muck and anything else is worth the mild wet weather trade off. They also are wearing very evenly and not too fast for how soft they are. Definatly would buy another set.

Back